Export thread

HRX217HYA4 Recoil Starter

H

HONDA-GUY

Ok so I went to replace the recoil starter on my HRX217HYA and 2 of the nuts just spin and spin. I'm guessing they are stuck/frozen to the studs, any ideas on how to get them off? Will the studs eventually screw themselves out and it will come free? Never ran across this on a Honda engine before.

Thanks

R

Rivets

Yes you are correct, the studs which the nuts are on will come out. You'll then have to remove the entire shroud and grab the studs with a pliers to remove the nuts, and get at the starter. Install the studs and put a little anti-sieze on the threads which the nuts go on to make it easier to remove the next time.

H

HONDA-GUY

Yes you are correct, the studs which the nuts are on will come out. You'll then have to remove the entire shroud and grab the studs with a pliers to remove the nuts, and get at the starter. Install the studs and put a little anti-sieze on the threads which the nuts go on to make it easier to remove the next time.

Thanks for the info! I was pretty sure they would but wanted to make sure, didn't want to strip anything or cause any damage that would require a trip to the shop.

B

bertsmobile1

I usually give the top thread on the studs a good wire brushing to make the thread a little looser on honda's that stubbornly have sticking nuts.
On extreme cases it was locktite on the bottom, anti sieze on the top nut then a drop of liquid electrical tape on the end of the thread to prevent any water wicking in and rusting the nut to the stud, It also acts as a locking mechanism preventing the nut from loosening in use.