HRX2173HYA WON'T START

johgrif

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks, I am new to the forum but have been a Honda fan since 1989 when I bought my first 3813 rider which still runs! Today, I am focusing my efforts towards my Model# = HRX2173HYA, SER# = MAGA 2039598, Engine stamp = GJAAA-2558784 MX2?. (The question mark is there because I cannot figure out last letter or number). The situation is that the mower was accidentally overfilled with oil, yeah I know, it was my bad!. When I went to start the mower it was difficult to pull due to the crankcase pressure. But the he-man in me said pull harder and in doing so the mower attempted to start, blew out a small cloud of white smoke and then would not start again. Seems like something became damaged. What is the most likely scenario that I have put myself in? I put on my compression tester and the engine has about 30 psig on the compression stroke (I'm not sure what it is supposed to be). Is there an internal pressure relief valve that blew? Or is it more likely that I bent a valve stem or crank? Please advise.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Compression readings are meaningless on mowers because of the auto decompressor .
The most likely damage is blowing the head gasket .
If you could do a few rounds against big Arnie then you may have bent the con rod but you need to be really strong to do that

johgrif

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I ordered the service and parts manual for it. I'll let you know what I find.