HRT216TDA self propelled...engine surges at all speeds...fix/tune up thoughts?

magbarn

Threads
  • / HRT216TDA self propelled...engine surges at all speeds...fix/tune up thoughts?
Here is what I've been talking about in this thread of post.

California is so overpriced, I sold my 10 year old mower of the same model as yours for $170 a few months ago. Even had some rust on the back and a worn out bag...

Usually the belt is what's at fault when the drive isn't pulling. It's either come loose and needs tightening, or just worn out.

Vanousb

Threads
  • / HRT216TDA self propelled...engine surges at all speeds...fix/tune up thoughts?
California is so overpriced, I sold my 10 year old mower of the same model as yours for $170 a few months ago. Even had some rust on the back and a worn out bag...

Usually the belt is what's at fault when the drive isn't pulling. It's either come loose and needs tightening, or just worn out.

If I can get the self propel working right, would price about 175.00 here as well. Any advice on what to look for past the belt?
Does not want to release and free spin in reverse and it clicks moving forward when not engaged.

I like the bearing wheels a the Yard Machine NDT with Honda engine I also bought for 40.00 a week before this one. Each to push and engine offers great mowing. Think I an getting Honda Engine fixation. haha

Last edited:

Vanousb

Threads
Pulled back drive wheels off. Gears are in great shape. Everything was gunked up. Cleaned and lubed. Good ratchet when forward and some resistance when pulling backward, but much better. Did pull the transmission panel from underneath and cleaned it out. I really do not want to pull the transmission apart. Will adjust clutch cable to see if that is the weak pulling issue.

Last edited:

Vanousb

Threads
Sprayed a little carb cleaner in and started mower. Started up smooth...then started surging again, but not as bad. I assume that means carb clean/change. On the good side...I have the self propel narrowed down to stretched cable. If I give the cable an extra pull the wheel pull with force like it is supposed to. Without the extra, they turn and change speeds off the ground, but do not pull mower when set down. Any ideas of fix without changing cable. I thought about adding lock washers in clutch handle spring to tighten cable. Thoughts are welcome?

Vanousb

Threads
Lock washers in the clutch spring was the fix. Mower now pulls in each gear 1, 2, 3.

Attachments

• image-478510682.jpg
    image-478510682.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image-2429218371.jpg
    image-2429218371.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image-2345089264.jpg
    image-2345089264.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 16