HRR216 transmission failed less than 1 year

Atkins400

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, here is a simple question. I have a small lawn, but many difficult hills to maneuver around. Last year I upgraded to a self propelled model based on reviews and reputation. I am really surprisednasnthe failure of this model so soon after purchase. My wife has taken to mowing the lawn a lot this year, and she refuses to actually use the self propel feature. Why in the world she wants to push this thing around is beyond me. Could pushing the mower around without engaging the rear wheels actually cause damage to the transmission?

I have also noticed the problem with the rear wheels seizing up in reverse, and the mower not starting due to the known auto choke issue...

This is my second 216 in less than 3 years. The first was destroyed by a sister who ran it over a steel pin and bent the shaft.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is less than a year old, take it back to the dealer or authorized repair center. It should be under warranty.

GregGA

Threads
I bet she let your sister use it and she messed it up. Your wife was just pushing it around so you wouldn't find out.

Get it fixed and buy an electric mower for her to push. You won't have to worry about stale gas, err, choke issues.

Welcome to the formum!

RicB

Threads
The rear wheels are free wheeling when manually pushing forward. You should hear the "ratchets" in the wheels clicking. It shouldn't have any effect on the tranny at all.

Hi all, here is a simple question. I have a small lawn, but many difficult hills to maneuver around. Last year I upgraded to a self propelled model based on reviews and reputation. I am really surprisednasnthe failure of this model so soon after purchase. My wife has taken to mowing the lawn a lot this year, and she refuses to actually use the self propel feature. Why in the world she wants to push this thing around is beyond me. Could pushing the mower around without engaging the rear wheels actually cause damage to the transmission?

I have also noticed the problem with the rear wheels seizing up in reverse, and the mower not starting due to the known auto choke issue...

This is my second 216 in less than 3 years. The first was destroyed by a sister who ran it over a steel pin and bent the shaft.