Export thread

HRC2163HXA propel not working. Possible leak below transmission found.

macespejo

macespejo

Hello all,

I have an old HRC2163HXA honda mower. Engine runs good. Mower cuts great. Only issue is self propel just dont work. I noticed the transmssion has marks of oil below and looks like a leak. The drive shaft keeps on spinning when mower is running. The cables are all good and no damage.

I read all the threads like there are SB's related to transmission related to this but kinda unclear. I'm hoping. anyone can help me diagnose and repair it. I think its repairable but if not im just gonna sell it for parts.

Thank you.

macespejo

macespejo

HRC2163HXA propel not working. Possible leak below transmission found

Hello all,

I have an old HRC2163HXA honda mower. Engine runs good. Mower cuts great. Only issue is self propel just dont work. I noticed the transmssion has marks of oil below and looks like a leak. The drive shaft keeps on spinning when mower is running. The cables are all good and no damage.

I read all the threads like there are SB's related to transmission related to this but kinda unclear. I'm hoping. anyone can help me diagnose and repair it. I think its repairable but if not im just gonna sell it for parts.

Thank you.

T

tadawson

If you are referring to the shaft coming from the engine, that is correct - it is hard geared to the crank and will (and should) rotate whenever the engine is running. Considering that the HXA is a hydrostatic transmission, and you see signs of leakage, have you checked the fluid level in it?

macespejo

macespejo

I look into the fluid level and honestly im not sure if has fluid on it but there is a mark of fluid. Its so hard to tell it on the leveling stick on my mower.

M

mechanic mark

https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hpe/505ce4c4f870022d24bdc919/transmission

driveshaft, driven disc clutch assembly, bearings, transmission, & cables need to be looked at, be patient & don't jump to conclusions, take your time inspecting parts for wear.

macespejo

macespejo

It looks like there in no tranny fluid on it. Does it mean the transmission is bad already? Does the rotating of drive shaft does not damage the transmission?

macespejo

macespejo

IMG_3480.jpg

Here is the photo.

macespejo

macespejo

Hello all, i did fill up the transmission with honda hydrostatic level and test it again. There is no leak coming out the transmission. Unfortunately, the drive shaft keeps on spinning still and self propel is not working when i push the fwd lever. What would be my next move here?

M

mechanic mark

have a helper engage drive & check cable for working properly at transmission, cable may need to be adjusted or is possibly broken inside sheathing.

have you tried raising rear wheels off the ground with mower handle & transmission engaged? are rear wheels turning? is driveshaft turning under cover, from engine to transmission?

macespejo

macespejo

I did engage and saw the control arm notch hits the index mark as stated in the Clutch Cable Adjustment page in the honda manual Still no propel working.

macespejo

macespejo

Mark, thanks for helping me out. I did lift up the mower to check the wheels and Nothing is turning. The drive shaft is still spinning on both engine end and transmission ends.

macespejo

macespejo

You wont believe what happened. So i tried to mow my lawn today. Engage the blade and then push fwd the lever and it propels a little bit. So i tried adjusting the cable again and it works. The self propel is working. I just notcied some few drops of tranny oil yesterday at the floor. I’ll it check again tomorrow.

T

tadawson

It may well have taken a bit to work the air out. If it now works, check for leaks and see if you can correct any you find. Might be as simple as loose bolts holding the case together, or a shaft seal . . .

macespejo

macespejo

So before I used my mower today. I noticed this leaks on my tranny. See attached pictures. But still my mower propels good and cuts the grass pretty good.
What would be the problem on this pictures? Do i need to fix the leak asap or it can wait until mow season is over? That way i have more time to fix it. If not, any tips how to repair this leak?IMG_3517.jpgIMG_3530.jpgIMG_3531.jpg

macespejo

macespejo

bump

macespejo

macespejo

anyone?

dougand3

dougand3

2nd pic - is that a crack in the tranny housing? Could be leak there or out the seals around the axle. Housing = $110. Whole Tranny = $240. If handy, may could repair crack with weld or even JB Weld. I'd just top off the tranny fluid before each mow and have at it. Bet it will run a long time.

macespejo

macespejo

No crack. Maybe some leakage around the seal. I already filled it with fluid and until now its working. Maybe if the fluid is depleted it will stop working. lolz