HRB215K3 Tuning help

jb_13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,

I have an old Harmony 215 mower that I'm working on. I have used it for the past several years without much issue and went to give it a tune-up for this season only to discover a multitude of issues. It has been running fine, but upon inspection I found several issues.
  • The throttle cable was shot and I had basically been running the mower at full choke, regardless of the throttle handle position. So, I replaced the cable with a new one.
  • Upon replacement of the throttle cable the mower would not run more than a few seconds (start-up, then die), regardless of the choke position. I removed the carburetor and cleaned the main jet/nozzle, replaced the spark plug, replaced the air filter. The mower ran, but at very high RPM in all throttle positions.
  • Inspecting the condition of all the springs on the control panel, everything is intact and everything moves as it should with adjustment of the throttle handle, EXCEPT the governor arm and the throttle arm on top of the carburetor, which has little to no action to it when the throttle handle is moved between Choke/Fast/Slow. When I engage the Choke, the governor arm/throttle arm on the carb move into position, but when I move out of Choke (to Fast or Slow) there is little to no return on the arm despite the spring reducing tension at the base of the arm.
  • I have new gaskets for the carburetor on order and will be replacing those, along with new springs for the choke/governor arm. Assuming that I get those replaced, what else should I be looking at. If replacing the springs doesn't correct the action of the throttle arm on top of the carburetor what adjustments should I make to remedy it? I assume adjusting the governor will play a part in this, but an attempt at adjusting it had little effect on the high RPM issue.
Thanks in advance for any input and help.
JB