Repairs HRA214SX Recoil Starter Pawl Help

Engine_Girl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I posted in the small engine section, but someone said to post here too.
I just replaced the spring on my mower. I put it all back together, and now the plastic dog doesn't come out when the rope is pulled to grab the flywheel cup. I didn't overtighten the bolt, and upon looking at a parts schematic, no pieces are missing. What the beep? It seems that the spring which sits against the dog (ratchet arm=starter pawl) would hold it closed, but I never saw it in action before the coil broke, so I can only go on how it looked when I opened it up initially. I can hear my lawn growing, and its my only mower in near operation right now. PLease Help!
Also, since I posted this, I did some more online investigating..it seems that everything I have read says that the spring must be on wrong, but my schematic, see the attached pic, doesn't show me whether the spring should be against the outside of the pawl ram, or not. I have tried taking the spring off, but that doesn't make any sense, it should be there. I haven't had any luck on the other forums, maybe someone here knows? Thanks:tongue:

Attachments

• Honda recoil.png
    Honda recoil.png
    250.4 KB · Views: 11

noma

Threads
Hi engine_girl

Just wondering if you have the pawl in backward or do you have the rope going around the housing the wrong way so the dogs don"t come out? Just thing to look at and see if that could be possible.:frown: