How to tell if the Tension spring on the stabilizer deck is Shot.

Mikka

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How to tell if the Tension spring on the stabilizer deck is Shot.
I have a MTD Yardman, unsure of age. I recently replaced the engine pulley as it hit the deck and exploded. The new one touches the deck and on start up it throws sparks and cuts into the deck. I have checked the hanging arms for the deck and some were bent but i have straightened them out and still the problems remains. The last time i took the deck off, it was a bit of a struggle getting it back on as i had to stretch the spring to the stabilizer deck to get in back in place, but this time it seemed easier and no need of stretching.

Does this means the spring is past it and a new one is required? Will this fix the problem of the deck hitting the engine pulley?

I would take it to the local repair shop but they are booked solid until the end of May and it is still grass growing season here, any help is greatly appreciated.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you 'stretched' the spring, that is, it is no long the same length when removed from the mower, it's ruined.

Get a new one.

A picture of your mower deck/engine relationship would help but I doubt if a new spring is going to keep the deck from hitting the engine pulley.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the deck hits the pulley, it is not mounted correctly or the wrong deck. Don’t know of anywhere MTD uses a spring to stabilize their decks.