Engine How to put a Predator Engine on a 28" HiVac Riding Mower?

MannerMauler

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How to put a Predator Engine on a 28" HiVac Riding Mower?
Hello, new member here! We have an old Snapper riding mower with a bad engine. Bent pushrod and an oil leak. We tried replacing the pushrod but every time we tried ordering the part, we were sent pushrods for a smaller engine. We tried selling it for 95 on craigslist to no avail. I was at my BIL's (the one who gave us it) house and he recommended replacing the engine. I want to do this, but I'm not sure what engine from HF to get, and I can't find a good guide anywhere. Does anyone have a good walkthrough? I'll include some pictures of the mower.

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-06 at 3.14.01 PM (1).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-06 at 3.14.02 PM (1).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-06 at 3.14.02 PM (2).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-06 at 3.14.02 PM (3).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-06 at 3.14.03 PM (1).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-06 at 3.14.03 PM.jpg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get the parts directly from Briggs. They have good prices and free shipping on orders over 50 or 100 bucks, forgot which. Maybe you are using the wrong engine codes to order parts? Are you using a fuel cutoff valve? What is causing the bent push rods? Does the motor turn over freely? Are the valves set to Briggs specs? Was it ran out of oil referring to your oil leak? It's hard to kill these little engines unless you run it out of oil.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well this might sound silly but it is the exact reverse of taking the old engine out.
The old one should have a 1" PTO shaft , but measure it first.
The only thin you need to do different when putting the new engine on is to thread the bolt holes using a self tapper that you took out of the old engine
Get 4 nice new ones to hold the new engine in place.

After that is it just working out which wire goes where.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Reckon a valve guide migrated up causing the push rod to bend?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or a rocker came loose. But a new Predator engine in the higher HP range gets pretty expensive. I'd give fixing it another try.

Romore

Threads
Unhook the wires and throttle cable, unbolt the motor, lift it off and remove the drive disc. It is not difficult. What is the model and type number stamped into the valve cover?