How to inexpensively fix a stripped thread?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take a close look at the hole. Are there any threads left at the bottom of the hole? Put a stud in completely to the bottom, then put a nut on to hold carb. Or put the stud in with some JB weld, leave it sit overnight. Sometimes put a strip of small dia. solder down the hole and force the bolt in.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just get some duct tape and wrap the engine up like a mummy.... Normally any job worth doing is worth doing right...

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I noticed the threads came out (at least the top half of them did). Do they sell those self tapping screws locally?

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm guessing I would have to drill it out and tap it with the 5/16."
That set is just trash. Not worth carrying to the trash can.

4getgto

Threads
the trash can is worth more than that set
You got that right. The last Brute 44 gallon can I bought was around $50.

That's 5 HF tap and die sets...!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And if you don't know the trick of keeping a tap from sticking in aluminum you can break off one which is even worst to get out.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't you you chuck it in an impact driver and go to town?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Only if you want them to break. I broke several hand taps on the years before the machinist told me about the trick. Drilling out broken taps with carbide is not fun. Those broken tap extractors are a joke as I broken several of them too trying to remove seized and broken taps.

Hint its not oiling the taps either which works fine on steel and iron. It is another lubricate not usually used as a lube as but as cleaner.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When i tap aluminum if using a 4 flute tap i reverse and break the chip every 1/4 turn. 3 flute taps get 1/3 turn and reversed. I usually use WD40 instead of TapMagic on aluminum. Takes a while to get the feel. Most folks think you can just crank it in like a spiral turbo tap. Aluminum likes to gall and bind taps like taping some plastics. Been quite a few years since i neede a tap extractor. I still have a cigar box with taps in it the my father used working for the 3C during the depression. Being a government job when the program was over they gave all the mechanics and millwrights the tools they were using.