How Much Damage Does Snow Do?

Kryten

Threads
I love the snow, if I'm honest. I've been surprised quite often that when the snow clears the grass looks great underneath-so what damages more, the snow or ice and subzero temperatures?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... what damages more, the snow or ice and subzero temperatures?

Ice absolutely bad and damages a lot... but super cold is not good for plants.

Snow... it's actually a very nice slow time-release moisture... :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
winter wheat depends on it for cover and moisture. russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I love the snow, if I'm honest. I've been surprised quite often that when the snow clears the grass looks great underneath-so what damages more, the snow or ice and subzero temperatures?

Hmm, interesting question !!! I have often piled several feet of wet snow atop part of my yard while removing the stuff and there never seems to be any difference in those places after the snow finally melts, I could be wrong but I think when it gets really cold the roots of the grass go into "hibernation mode" and that limits any damage from compaction...?

GREAT and original question...keep thinking of those kind here and make US think a litte....:thumbsup:

indypower

Threads
I know that many farms here limit where snowmobilers can ride on their land. From their past expierience, they have found that the packed snow will turn to ice during a "January thaw" and the snow/ice pack damages or kills their perinial crops.

JumpingJack

Forum Newbie
Threads
The snow is a layer of protection against the underground. Even though the grass and plants die, the roots are protected by the snow, allowing them to grow when the snow melts. What is really bad is if the snow melts, and then the ice cold hits, the ground will be frozen and this can cause damage to the vegetation, I have seen this happen in Norway.

But ja, limiting compacting snow on wheat fields is important, else you might sit with less productive land in the following season.