How many amps does a push button have to be

HotRodMurray

Threads
how many amps does a push button have to be on my 12 b&s murray b/c i wanted to bypass the sylonoid and just run a batter cable from the hot on the battery to a battery shut off then to a push button then to the startor i just wanted to know the minimum amps the push button can be.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
how many amps does a push button have to be on my 12 b&s murray b/c i wanted to bypass the sylonoid and just run a batter cable from the hot on the battery to a battery shut off then to a push button then to the startor i just wanted to know the minimum amps the push button can be.

Normal cranking amps. for that engine is around 100 so I would think 150 to 200 would be a good starting point. OHV Briggs 14.5 HP single cylinder engines draw around 300 amps when the compression release doesn't work as designed.

If your solenoid is good it might be simpler to hot wire the solenoid by running wires from a spring loaded toggle switch mounted on the instrument panel.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do like SandburRanch said... If you use less than a 100 amp push button, you stand a Good chance of having the contacts weld together... You will really be scrambling to find a wire cutter if that happens.... Plus the probable damage to the starter, battery, flywheel teeth and the wire cutter... Not worth risking... :smile:KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
A car starter takes less then 150 amps so I would say you could get by with a 100 amp switch on a lawn mower. All your old tractors and cars never used a starter solenoid so you should be able to use one of there switches which you can buy at NAPA. What would be the reason? If it is just to make a sampler electrical system and by pass all safety switches why not just run a pos. wire from your starter switch to the solenoid you now have. If the reason is you are burning up solenoids you have a starter problem. There must be a reason for this idea.

HotRodMurray

Threads
im just going to buy a new syloniod and a push button and rewire my murray so i dont have all the safety switches

Mwh0428

Threads
The old snapper rear engine riders always had a one wire ignition and a push button start and I have not had a problem with them but I would put the new solenoid on wire it up my own special way.