Export thread

How long do mower blades last ?

S

SlopeMan2

I bought a 10 year old Bad-Boy 60" that had a transaxle concern. The original owner maintained 7 acres with it all that time. Found out that the blades were COMPLETELY worn out, almost to a point on each end, thin and cracked. The fan blades were broken on one tranny, and guess it over heated. I serviced 26 hp Briggs, transaxles, greased, & replaced spindle bearings, and put on a new set of blades. I have 150 hours on it now, and it does a fantastic job. There is no hour meter on it. I am curious as to how many hours it could have on it. I doubt that the blades had ever been changed. If they can go 1000 hours, I would guess it is in that neighborhood. Has anyone seen blades that worn out - and how many hours would it take? It is certainly not safe, and I have never done that. I have 600 hours on my cub cadet 1500 tractor, and the blades are fine. It has never been around gravel etc. That would make a big difference I know.

M

mechanic mark

It depends on you the operator, sounds like you have everything under control. Everyone is different, do I run over sticks & pinecones etc. or do I pick up yard first? I prefer to pick up debris from my yard first before mowing. I do have neighbors that use different lawn services who pick up only big limbs, etc. & mow over everything else.

S

slomo

Sandy soil will destroy blades like butta'. Wet grass is harder to cut than dry. Oregon blades are the best/hardest steel I've found.

If the end tip of the edge is rounded, time for new blades. If anyone uses a grinder on them which most people do, most likely, time for new blades. Blade balance could be way off. If yours don't look like a new blade, time for new.

slomo

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

I've never had blades wear out because I don't keep them on long enough. In my experience, blades don't wear evenly so they become unbalanced beyond what I can correct and, at that point, it's time for new blades.

L

loneryder

My Ferris came with "Bain" blades which is some kind of specially hardened steel. I've had them sharpened once during 95 hrs and they are still cutting cleanly. I think they are like $25 a blade but to me they are worth it. I would think it would be worth it for commercial guys.

S

SlopeMan2

It depends on you the operator, sounds like you have everything under control. Everyone is different, do I run over sticks & pinecones etc. or do I pick up yard first? I prefer to pick up debris from my yard first before mowing. I do have neighbors that use different lawn services who pick up only big limbs, etc. & mow over everything else.
My wife mows the smooth grass with her mower, and I use the Bad Boy in the woods and rough stuff. Amazing how the blades take what they do. I have seldom bent one. I keep them sharp and balanced. Now I do have a little problem keeping the 30" blade straight on the 50 year old Snapper, ha. It has the independant rear brakes, that I use to mow a steep ditch with. Sure is better than using the old reel mower as a kid, ha. Thanks Mark.

S

SlopeMan2

Sandy soil will destroy blades like butta'. Wet grass is harder to cut than dry. Oregon blades are the best/hardest steel I've found.

If the end tip of the edge is rounded, time for new blades. If anyone uses a grinder on them which most people do, most likely, time for new blades. Blade balance could be way off. If yours don't look like a new blade, time for new.

slomo
Yeah, I don't let them get to looking too bad. I had the end a bush hog on a friends tractor, to fly off one time. I keep them sharp and balanced, and look for cracks. I just couldn't understand the former owner of the used Bad Boy letting his blades get so bad. Thanks slomo

S

SlopeMan2

I've never had blades wear out because I don't keep them on long enough. In my experience, blades don't wear evenly so they become unbalanced beyond what I can correct and, at that point, it's time for new blades.

S

SlopeMan2

That is some picture on your address. That must have been taken even before I made my first rotary mower in 1948. My dad and I built one, using a 1 1/2 Briggs off of a milking machine, plywood for the deck, had the blade and shaft built, used push mower wheels, plow handles, and a baby stroller pivot wheel. It was a good way to appreciate what we have today. Thanks Tony

S

SlopeMan2

My Ferris came with "Bain" blades which is some kind of specially hardened steel. I've had them sharpened once during 95 hrs and they are still cutting cleanly. I think they are like $25 a blade but to me they are worth it. I would think it would be worth it for commercial guys.

S

SlopeMan2

I never used Bain blades before. I will try them next. Thanks Ryder

L

loneryder

I never used Bain blades before. I will try them next. Thanks Ryder
The name is Marbain blades.

S

slomo

My wife mows the smooth grass with her mower, and I use the Bad Boy in the woods and rough stuff. Amazing how the blades take what they do. I have seldom bent one. I keep them sharp and balanced. Now I do have a little problem keeping the 30" blade straight on the 50 year old Snapper, ha. It has the independant rear brakes, that I use to mow a steep ditch with. Sure is better than using the old reel mower as a kid, ha. Thanks Mark.
Get an Oregon for your Snapper. Work great on my 33" RER.

slomo