How do I store my Lawm Boy?

franchi

Threads
Hi:

I am going to store an older lawn Boy and my questions are this: What should I do to prepare it for storage?

I will oil the cylinder well and pull the starter rope to spread the oil throughout the cylinder.

I have run the engine dry of fuel. I will check to see if there is any residual fuel in the system anywhere and discard it.

I will oil or wax all of the exposed metal to prevent oxidation.

What else can I do to make sure that this mower is properly stored?

Almost the entire fuel system is plastic so I do not see any corrosion problems in the future.

Tia,

Franchi

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think the main thing is to leave the carb dry and you've got that more than covered. It sounds like you are doing a great job. The only thing I can think of to add is store it in a dry place.

impalass

Threads
I leave my lawn boy outside all year and the snow does not make any to the machines. I put gas stabilizer in the gas tank and run the carburetor dry. I do the same with the snowblower. I always use gas stabilizer in the snowblower because i don't know how many times i will use the snowblower. The snowblower is a 1991 with a 10HP tecumseh engine.

lewb

Threads
Hi:

I am going to store an older lawn Boy and my questions are this: What should I do to prepare it for storage?

I will oil the cylinder well and pull the starter rope to spread the oil throughout the cylinder.

I have run the engine dry of fuel. I will check to see if there is any residual fuel in the system anywhere and discard it.

I will oil or wax all of the exposed metal to prevent oxidation.

What else can I do to make sure that this mower is properly stored?

Almost the entire fuel system is plastic so I do not see any corrosion problems in the future.

Tia,

You can drain or use stabilizer. I think it depends on if you run motor in the summer or will only use it occasionally the next season. If this is the case drying carb completely is probably the best. If you run it regularly in summer as long as you can get non-ethanol gas that is fine to leave with out treatment as long as mower is stored inside. For engine stored in inside you can leave it (which I have done since I owned a LB new in 95) If you store it out side you will want to fog the motor through the carb, basically you spray the fogging oil while motor is running and kill the motor with the oil. If you store out side I would definitely cover it keeping rain and snow off it. Even if you fog it right moisture can get in and start to rust the bearings and eventually your motor will come apart.

I have 2-stoke snow blower and two 2 stroke snowmobiles one is 140 hp and other is 180 hp very high tech compared to a LB. I have never fogged or use stabilizer, just non-ethanol and stored in a insulated garage where temps are pretty consistent.