Export thread

How Do I get Rid of Mr Mole

L

lesliejh11

Just re-seeded my lawn looking great, now I have a mole that's ruined the back end of my lawn. If I could get rid of them my lawn can be repaired and start looking great again. Don't want to harm them, but if it keeps coming back then goodbye mr mole. How do professionals do it?. Ant help appreciated. Thank you

Kind Regards
lesliejh11

P

possum

I have never seen a mole method that did not involve hurting the mole other than those chirping devices that chirp all night to drive them into the neighbors yard.

1 Lucky Texan

S

Sunsetjack

I have always heard getting rid of there food source (Grubs). I have used Grub-X & Milky Spore. Also using a couple Mole and Gopher Sonic Spikes. So far so good?

1 Lucky Texan

they are opportunistic feeders of invertebrates so, if you have grubs, they eat grubs. BUT, 70% of their food in one study I read was earthworms. If you have a healthy lawn, you have their favorite food.

Some trivia and experience I've had with moles;

You only have one - they are territorial and even the females chase their young away. The reason it can look like you have a lot, they dig tunnels and then abandon them when they find no more worms.

They prefer to repair a damaged 'active' tunnel than to dig around. That's why some traps work, a lump on the bottom of the tunnel can cause them to trigger the trap. Thekey to most removal techniques is observing where the most recent activity is.

I have tried and failed with;

pepper flakes and garlic

Tom's bait (looks like an earthworm)

Giant Destroyer - didn't work for me, but fun! (they are giant smoke bombs)

Neighbor tried and failed with a battery powered 'sonic chaser'.

I think it could be interesting to try using a pipe/metal hose to feed lawnmower exhaust into the tunnels. in parts of the country where folks have basements, I don't think this would be a good idea. Yeah, unlikely to fill your or a neighbor's basement with CO - but I guess it's possible.

I happen to catch one once;

3524727448_cf74275f69_o.jpg

Carscw

Carscw

Drop some moth balls in the yard the will be gone the next day.
Moth balls will keep everything away

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

L

lesliejh11

I have always heard getting rid of there food source (Grubs). I have used Grub-X & Milky Spore. Also using a couple Mole and Gopher Sonic Spikes. So far so good?

Thanks very much for the reply.

Kind Regards

Leslie

1 Lucky Texan

S

Sunsetjack

they are opportunistic feeders of invertebrates so, if you have grubs, they eat grubs. BUT, 70% of their food in one study I read was earthworms. If you have a healthy lawn, you have their favorite food.

You only have one - they are territorial and even the females chase their young away. The reason it can look like you have a lot, they dig tunnels and then abandon them when they find no more worms.

They prefer to repair a damaged 'active' tunnel than to dig around. That's why some traps work, a lump on the bottom of the tunnel can cause them to trigger the trap. Thekey to most removal techniques is observing where the most recent activity is.

pepper flakes and garlic

I think it could be interesting to try using a pipe/metal hose to feed lawnmower exhaust into the tunnels. in parts of the country where folks have basements, I don't think this would be a good idea. Yeah, unlikely to fill your or a neighbor's basement with CO - but I guess it's possible.

View attachment 15420

Have a lot of earthworms in yard. I think it looks healthy. Hopefully stays mole free.

You are right there is several methods to try.

I used those baits too. Did not help. Even tried sticking a hose in the tunnel and flooding it. I think they just made an underground pool!

Is that mole alive you are holding? How did you catch it?

Attachments

L

lesliejh11

pepper flakes and garlic

View attachment 15420

Thank you very much for all your help

Kind Regards

Lesliejh11

Carscw

Carscw

Trust me use moth balls we use them on the golf course. They keep away moles. Rabbits Mice. Snakes. Deer. Dogs. Cats. Ticks. Fleas. Ants. Warms. I can keep going if you like

1 Lucky Texan

Have a lot of earthworms in yard. I think it looks healthy. Hopefully stays mole free.

You are right there is several methods to try.

I used those baits too. Did not help. Even tried sticking a hose in the tunnel and flooding it. I think they just made an underground pool!

Is that mole alive you are holding? How did you catch it?

I was doing somethine near where we have a Crepe Myrtle. There had been mole activity. I glimpsed something moving in the mole hill near me, went and looked, and saw about a square inch of fur. I steeled myself, and in a quick, Ninja like move, pinched the fur and flipped the mole over onto the driveway. It must have been slightly stunned cause it wiggled like a sausage on a hot grill. Then I got it behind the neck and went to get my daughter to take a picture.

I released it in the yard of my least favorite neighbor.

NAW! - my daughter and I drove down to a large vacant lot and released it. It disappeared in about 3 seconds!

I have a mole now about every-other year. We name it and tell folks it's our invisible pet.

S

Sunsetjack

Trust me use moth balls we use them on the golf course. They keep away moles. Rabbits Mice. Snakes. Deer. Dogs. Cats. Ticks. Fleas. Ants. Warms. I can keep going if you like

Sometimes have a problem with a neighborhood dog. Do I put moth balls around the perimeter of the lot, or do a checker board throughout the front yard? If so how far do you space them apart?

Thanks

Carscw

Carscw

Sometimes have a problem with a neighborhood dog. Do I put moth balls around the perimeter of the lot, or do a checker board throughout the front yard? If so how far do you space them apart?

Thanks

Just toss them out around the yard.
I would go talk to the dog owner and in a nice way let him know that his dog will only come in your yard one more time.
Give the dog some meat with hot peppers in it and he won't like your house anymore

S

sgzeroone

I always refer to the movie "Caddyshack" and the techniques imployed by bill murry to solve my mole problems. Also know as the "CaddyShack Maneuver"...But i don't recommend this in a urban area :laughing:

And yes I do know those were not moles in the movie, but those techniques work for all subterranean creatures....

T

Tommyboyxd

So what about the smell?

Carscw

Carscw

So what about the smell?

Yes they smell