How do I come up with a good garden design?

arslant001

Threads
Hi guys, Hope you are doing well, I want to make my garden more attractive and stylish. Could you please share your lawn pics just to get some garden design ideas?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pick up an "Organic Gardening" magazine.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suggest you buy a copy of a book, The Right Brain Experience by Marilee Zdenek* and do the exercises faithfully. Then think about your garden and what you want to accomplish. Get with some master gardeners at your local nurseries for plants that do well in the environment you visualize. Plant the shrubs and trees for 5 - 10 - 20 years growth so they don't get too big for the area. You can fill in with flowers and things like that while they grow. Try to avoid having large areas you will have to weed if you live in an area where weed seeds blow in, or rain from flocks of birds in the sky.

*Google may have a download online.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You start by deciding exactly what you want from your yard
Then you take soil samples all over the place to see what you have to work with
Nothing odd to have 5 or more different soil types even on a 1/4 acre block
Then you spend a year taking photos of your yards in the morning , midday & evening so you have a good idea of the sun / shade patterns
In the same dairy record the rainfall and take photos / make records of the run off
Then have a think about your self , back / knee problems , raised beds ?
Once you have all this plot you lot and include overhead / underground services so you don't plant a shrub with invasive root on top of the sewer or drain pipe .
When it comes to finally doing a layout consider sight lines
If you have small children you need reasonably good visuals of the whole yard from the rear of the house
And finally remember there are no strait lines in nature so curves are always the go

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It nothing growing corn that suppose to be 7 ft tall that is only 1 ft at the most. Here my pH was 3.5 when I need 7.0, lots lime and time later and the next year I had normal corn.Applying 4 tons per acres was a challenge as not to burn the existing plants.