Houston winter work

Rhaugle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys, first post here. Bought a house this last year with a 20,000sqft yard and it needs some work. Right now, I'm looking for what I can do in the "winter" months... Even though it's been in the 60s-70s.... I'm thinking of weed and feeding the whole yard (it's really bad... Full of weeds), but is it too early for that?

logert gogert

Threads
i dont think its ever to late too weed your yard, but i'd wait a bit longer to feed it heres a link for more info
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think you want to use the "weed" part while the weeds are actively growing, seems best late in the growing season in my area. Maybe a pre-emergent application might be worthwhile though. Congrats on the new digs!

AVB

Threads
On pre-emergent read and follow the instructions. Many to need applying early before the weeds or grasses spout but also have a short life span. One I use (4EC) here is only good for 90 days after application. If using the pre-emergent in your garden some plants like corn which is a grass can't be planted for specified time period or they will not sprout either. Some broad left weed killers like 2-4-D (ester version) are applied only when the temps are below 80 F as they evaporate and drift on desirable plants thus killing them. The 2-4-D Amine is a little more stable but just as killing it is allowed to drift.

With broadcast spraying use non drift nozzles and keep it from misting that it gets applied only where you want it. Plus need to following the rates per acre rules. Know the rate the spraying equipment applies the chemicals, maintain a constant travel speed, and use minimum overlapping spray runs. or at least that is what most labels say and it worked for me on the 14 acres that I sprayed annually.

You also got to consider downstream runoff and drift. Here I am in cotton country and these farmers do NOT like it if you take out their cash crops. I have been accused of damaging one farmer's crop myself; although, I know if was his workers that sprayed a growth regulator on the section in question twice. Completely stopping it from growing, just stood there the rest of the season.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Being in Houston, I'd think you can weed & feed all year long. You'll probably be mowing weeds before the end of February.
Things grow when it hits 60ish.

What kind if grass is in your yard? St. Augustine? Burrmuda?