Houston, I have a Problem

Bohikeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, I have a Troy Bilt Pony Mod, 77 t. I started mowing my lawn this am and the belt came off, I went back to my garage and put it back on, but when I started the engine the belt started smoking, I turned it off and when I tried to run the engine again the cutting deck shakes, and it`s not engaged, also the engine cranks without me sitting on the tractor, which tells me that something is wrong with a safety switch somewhere, but where? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks. Latter. Louie.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to separate your problems...
start with why it threw the belt, do the blades on the deck turn free, with the belt removed?
are there any idler pulleys that are dragging?
Is the belt in all th pulleys?

after you find why the belt came off ...then start looking for electrical safety switch, operator present seat switch problems... :smile:KennyV

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi everyone, I have a Troy Bilt Pony Mod, 77 t. I started mowing my lawn this am and the belt came off, I went back to my garage and put it back on, but when I started the engine the belt started smoking, I turned it off and when I tried to run the engine again the cutting deck shakes, and it`s not engaged, also the engine cranks without me sitting on the tractor, which tells me that something is wrong with a safety switch somewhere, but where? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks. Latter. Louie.
Since you put the belt on you know how to take it off. Take it off again and lood for a bad bearing or pulley that has become loose or otherwise out of alignment.
How old is this machine?
As Kenny indicated the 2 problems are..... most likely unrelated.
Sounds like there is a problem with a bearing or a pulley mounting. I suppose it could be motor mounts, so after it cools down get in there and shake things about and see if maybe something has come loose.
and remember:I did NOT do anything wrong. The hatch just BLEW. It was a GLITCH. It was a- a TECHNICAL MALFUNCTION. Why in hell won't anyone believe me?
"Gus Grissom" 1962

Bohikeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys, early tomorrow I`ll go and check everything again, remove the deck and take a good look at it. I decided to use the old Craftsman push mower to do the lawn then, and won`t you know it, it won`t start, I went and got a new plug for it, that`s also to do tomorrow. Like my Mom used to say, "He who doesn't like broth, gets two bowls":licking: I`ll keep you posted. Latter. Louie.

Last edited:

Bohikeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I fixed it!!:thumbsup: the problem was that I had routed the belt wrong, I took down the deck and put the belt the way it was supposed to go, and now everything is OK, and the problem with the switch, it can start without me on the seat, it`s when it`s not in park that`s not supposed to start. So everything is back to normal, but I`m going to get a new belt because the one on the mower is the original, (07 ) and I don`t want it to go and not have another one at hand. Thanks again guys. Latter. Louie.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I fixed it!!:thumbsup: the problem was that I had routed the belt wrong, I took down the deck and put the belt the way it was supposed to go, and now everything is OK, and the problem with the switch, it can start without me on the seat, it`s when it`s not in park that`s not supposed to start. So everything is back to normal, but I`m going to get a new belt because the one on the mower is the original, (07 ) and I don`t want it to go and not have another one at hand. Thanks again guys. Latter. Louie.

Thanks for following up with this post. It may help someone else with the same mower.
Soooo what happened with the old craftsman push? You should get it operable as a back up.

Bohikeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I have to get the other mower going, I think I flooded the carb, because the plug was wet with gas, even after I left it sitting overnight. I have to check again and also check the craftsman forum for some tips. Thanks again. Latter. Louie. :thumbsup:

jeff

Threads
Is the plug new? If it is wet for that long it probably isn't fireing.

Bohikeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep, the plug is new, and it`s wet, but just gas, no oil.

jeff

Threads
Try another plug, I have seen bad plugs right out of the box. If it still won't spark, try taking the ground wire off the coil. If still no spark, replace the coil.