Export thread

Hours add up if you forget key on.

T

turboawd

My dad left the key on. Lol. Now my Hustler apparently has over the 700 hours, when it probably has around 100.
That's a dumb design.

B

bertsmobile1

Yes it is but if you leave it turned on for long enough it will roll over to 0000 again.
However 10,000 hours is a lot longer time than most would expect.
If you do pull the plug off the fuel solenoid or you will burn it out.

Most mowers now run the hour meter off the blades which also is not the best idea as the whole point of it is to schedule regular maintenance.

Bert- My Toro manual states the hour meter only adds time when someone is in the seat. It's wired thru the seat. :confused2:

Not the way I would wire it, but it is what it is.. Hour meter should ONLY read when ever engine is actually running. Like Cat* or AC etc..

T

turboawd

Bert- My Toro manual states the hour meter only adds time when someone is in the seat. It's wired thru the seat. :confused2:

Not the way I would wire it, but it is what it is.. Hour meter should ONLY read when ever engine is actually running. Like Cat* or AC etc..

That's not a bad idea the way it's set up. Better than the way Hustler wires it.

I used to run big excavating equipment, so I'm used to an hour meter actually only monitoring when engine runs.

That was a surprise about Hustler, I have to tell my Hustler owning cousin up North about this.

B

bertsmobile1

it comes down the cheapness.
And running it off the key is the cheapest way to do it.
JD AYP & MTD all used to run like this if not still now.
Honda seemed to use PTO hours.
If the mower has a tiny tach fitted, that records hours of engine running because it takes the feed off a spark plug wire.
Most of the Toros I have worked on were PTO hours as well.

Interesting, I will check my manual again, it was about 5 years ago I read that..

But after mowing in back, I drive it to the front & PTO off of course & the hours have changed in that distance, & circumstance.

B

bertsmobile1

Interesting, I will check my manual again, it was about 5 years ago I read that..

But after mowing in back, I drive it to the front & PTO off of course & the hours have changed in that distance, & circumstance.

can also be age or model dependent .
I note the hours when I log in a job and of course check them before the mower goes back to the customer.
Leaving a mower turned on when you have been working on it is an ever present problem.
OTOH on most mowers I slip a seat switch bypass into the socket so I can do things like watch blades & pulleys

Bert- Possibly.. I keep a written log as well, marking down the hours after each use. So I can compare to years past & more importantly, know when I changed something etc..

I may be too anal.... LOL

B

bertsmobile1

Wanna know how many people ring up & tell me the mower was only service last year & now there is a problem that they think should be done for free .
When I check they are not in my data base so I have never sent them a bill & I bought the business 6 years ago.
So no record keeping is not anal at all.
Also comes in handy when you do stuff like swap the brand of blades or belts.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I am too forgetful to NOT keep records.

My Cub Cadet and Kubota tractors record engine hours. I like that. The Husqvarna MZ52 tracks PTO hours. I guess since it's a single function machine (mower only) that's OK.

Cool, guess I'm just used to keeping records for bike work I do, it just spilled over to my machines & projects etc..

Plus I forget stuff as well.

D

DK35vince

I keep records as well.
Got enough stuff to maintain now I can't keep track of what I did if it isn't written down

I feel same way..

D

Darryl G

Another variation is RPM-dependent hours. My JD compact utility tractor counts hours at 3200 rpms, so if you run it at lower rpms (which is almost always for me) they add up slower than how long it was actually running.

Wow, that is different, for sure.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Another variation is RPM-dependent hours. My JD compact utility tractor counts hours at 3200 rpms, so if you run it at lower rpms (which is almost always for me) they add up slower than how long it was actually running.
Same with the Kubota L3000.

The Chairman

The Chairman

I kept records for awhile, switched to CDs and now my music is on the cloud! :confused2: :confused2: :confused2:

I have systems based on time for most things. No one is checking up on me, so I won't spend (waste?) the time for documentation. Kudos to y'all who make me look lackadaisical.

Same with the Kubota L3000.

Wow, & maybe more yet ?

cpurvis

cpurvis

Wow, & maybe more yet ?

The combo tach/hour meter on the Kubota is definitely old school--cable driven off the injection pump, just like an old-time speedometer/odometer.

The combo tach/hour meter on the Kubota is definitely old school--cable driven off the injection pump, just like an old-time speedometer/odometer.

I am familiar with that set up, Very cool.

M

mooch91

Dealer left the key on my Fastrak when I brought it in for service, added 30 hours and had a dead battery when I picked it up. Thankfully the buyer didn't give me a hard time when buying the mower recently - I explained the 30 hour difference and he was cool with it.

That could have been a bad thing.. Good your buyer was understanding.

D

DK35vince

I've owned 2 tractors.
A 1978 John Deere 850 and my current tractor a 2001 Kioti DK 35.
Both have had the cable driven tach/hour meter.