Export thread

hour meter

P

Pineapple

The hour meter on my SS5000 ALWAYS displays the hour/s logged on mower (even w/ignition off) unlike my 'Deere which which displays hours ONLY w/ ignition on.

This new meter even had a display BEFORE I hooked it up. Where's the 'juice' coming from?-don't want to run my battery down. Thanks for any explanations/clarifications.

M

mechanic mark

M

Mikel1

Small battery in hour meter holds memory.
It's not going to drain your battery. The hour meter works the same on my John Deere.

P

Pineapple

Re: hour meter plus another lube question

Thank you for the 'hour meter' responses. Let me tack on an additional question- I've always used automotive oil (SAE 30, usually Valvoline or other name brand) on my mowers and never had issues....is there any advantage to using the more expensive lawn mower oils? I ask because the recent purchase of a Toro SS5000 ZTR is hopefully my LAST mower and being an avid DIYer I hope it not necessary to delve into repairs other than routine maintenance. It's getting close to the 8 hour oil change so I'll purchase a Kawasaki oil filter and SAE 30 brand ? oil.

This mower runs 'stronger' and is much faster than my BS 20 hp 'Deere and it's actually enjoyable and a challenge to cut straight since I haven't become totally comfortable w/ the lever steering.