Honda mowers are great but...

frank-id

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 2 year old mower suddenly did not want to start for this new cutting season. My mower has always
performer flawlessly. My mower is great. First start up, engine no go. After checking all possible and getting a not needed wire with a diode, finally the sparking coils were ordered. These coils are not cheap, about $50 each, but the engine began to sing/run. I tried every test for these electrical devices that I could learn. The dealer said replace the coils. The small shop in this town wanted about $310 just for parts. I have not been able to learn any method of testing these coils. I have not been able to determine the cause of these coil failures and why both coils failed. I am unable to open up either coil
to find any open or short cut. I have another Honda powered mower that is going strong for 18 years.
Frank in Idaho

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd be more likely to think that the fuel you are able to get these days gummed up the fuel system - use stabil or something like it before storing for winter. If it will run now use a fuel system cleaner and see if it improves. I wouldn't trust a dealer that offers the most expensive fix first !

Attachments

• My tractor 005.jpg
    My tractor 005.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Patti mowing 005.jpg
    Patti mowing 005.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 35
  • moto_0162.jpg
    moto_0162.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 31
  • moto_0164.jpg
    moto_0164.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 41

rburke65

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the mower would not start after numerous attempts and replacing other parts, THEN it started after replacing the coil packs, how or why would you think it would be the gas? Not trying to be smart here.....I'm no expert.....trying to see the logic in your thinking. Thanks

Attachments

• snow_blower_stuck.jpg
    snow_blower_stuck.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 21

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the mower would not start after numerous attempts and replacing other parts, THEN it started after replacing the coil packs, how or why would you think it would be the gas? Not trying to be smart here.....I'm no expert.....trying to see the logic in your thinking. Thanks

Not just thinking about this particular case - hoping to help anyone with new season starting problems. I'm just not sure that replacing coils should be necessary (I wonder if the old ones were put back in - would it run now ???). Coils don't usually go bad for no reason and if it was running OK when put away - why would they be bad in the spring ?? I'm not a Honda (or any other) mechanic, but have done quite a bit of work on engines and usually try to find simple solutions before replacing expensive parts. :biggrin:

ACE

Forum Newbie
Threads

I know Honda engines have the oil monitoring system & if the oil is a little low it won't start. Not saying you got ripped off, but this day & age anything is possible

larrybui

Forum Newbie
Threads
replacing spark plug before replace the coil . It is cheaper and maybe that is the problem.

daddy3

Threads
after 19 years the coil on my hrm215 went out when it was cold it ran fine and when it warmed up it would sputter i had a B&S 5hp coil laying around so i made it fit and it runs better than it did with a good honda coil and honda wanted almost 85$ for the honda coil and it took two weeks to get i did not even put it on because it runs very good better than ever before at least i have an extra!