Honda HRX217VKA self propelled not working

rbiest

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 7-8 year old Honda hrx217vka with issues with the self propelled not working. I know the transmission and wheel gears are not the issue because I can manually rotate the axle and the wheels spin. Also the clutch cable is working properly. Does this leave me to believe the belt is shot and needs to be replaced?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things. First, delete your oth thread, two threads with the same problem can get confusing for everyone and there is no need. Second, you are correct, the belt probably needs replacing. If I remember correctly you have to disassemble half the mower to do so. Not a piece of cake.

rbiest

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried to delete my other post but was unsuccessful so I just titled it as deleted and removed the content so hopefully ppl will ignore it or an admit can delete it.

My issue was resolved by adjusting the clutch/throttle cable.

HurstGN

Threads
If I'm recalling correctly, I read a post somewhere that aftermarket belts do not play nice on these mowers and a Honda belt is best. Experts may chime in to confirm or deny.

Bittykitty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please play nice with me because while I know about more than the average female about my mowers, I usually don't get into the more technical side. This is my second Honda self propelled and they have served me the best over the years. I can "service" the mower myself, replace blades, and last summer I changed out the back tires/wheels because they were worn bald. So, I started using it in March this year and everything was fine until a couple of days ago. I was in the middle of mowing pushing along and in an instant I went from easy pushing to dead stop. Of course, I could push it but it was like pushing a rock up a hill. I got it back up to the house and started checking the self-propelled paddles--probably just made them harder to use than they already are (thumb numb). But then I lifted the back of the mower up and they were spinning just fine while they were off of the ground. I lowered mower back to the ground and it was still hard to push. I have read about lots of things to do if self-propel doesn't work at all, belt, adjuster, wheel cogs, but I haven't really seen any definitive explanations for this situation. It has rained the last 2 days and I have to work on the mower outside so I may get to it tomorrow. Thanks for any ideas and sorry for all of the TMI.

gotomow

Threads
Please play nice with me because while I know about more than the average female about my mowers, I usually don't get into the more technical side. This is my second Honda self propelled and they have served me the best over the years. I can "service" the mower myself, replace blades, and last summer I changed out the back tires/wheels because they were worn bald. So, I started using it in March this year and everything was fine until a couple of days ago. I was in the middle of mowing pushing along and in an instant I went from easy pushing to dead stop. Of course, I could push it but it was like pushing a rock up a hill. I got it back up to the house and started checking the self-propelled paddles--probably just made them harder to use than they already are (thumb numb). But then I lifted the back of the mower up and they were spinning just fine while they were off of the ground. I lowered mower back to the ground and it was still hard to push. I have read about lots of things to do if self-propel doesn't work at all, belt, adjuster, wheel cogs, but I haven't really seen any definitive explanations for this situation. It has rained the last 2 days and I have to work on the mower outside so I may get to it tomorrow. Thanks for any ideas and sorry for all of the TMI.

If the wheels spin off the ground a couple of things come to mind. First the plastic bushings that the drive shaft is supported on have worn enough that there is too much friction to propel the mower. Also the drive shaft itself rusts easily and the rust burrs can dig into the plastic bushings causing friction. Second is the belt is so worn that it slips when on the ground and not in the air. It could be a combination of both issues also.

Last edited:

Bittykitty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you so much for the information. I got a really good look at the mower this afternoon and the mower belt, that at a glance looked fine, was actually completely off of the pulley. I hope nothing else is wrong when I get the guards out. I have looked at several youtube videos on how to replace the belt and if you follow those steps it looks straightforward but a lot of commenters say it is difficult. So I will get the belt and give it a go. Like many others, I would get this done by a real repair man but I have to do what I can on my own due to financial situation. Once again, appreciate to help.