Honda HRX217vka: I just overhauled it, runs great... but found oil leak from OHC

Ictus

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRX217vka: I just overhauled it, runs great... but found oil leak from OHC
So I bought my HRX217vka from HomeDepot about 5 years ago. It was the floor model and I got it for half price. Sadly, it never stared well from day one. I had to spray starter fluid by the air intake. When that ran out, I would just pour gasoline into the air filter (ya I know, :ashamed:). Then last week I couldn't even start it using the old tricks.

So here's what I did over the last 3 days:

1) New spark plug

2) Took apart carb. Yucky, and 3 gaskets needed replacing, totally gummded up and a bit eaten away (prolly my pouring gas into the air filter). So I cleaned all the carb parts with CarbCleaner + compressed air, and hand made the three new gaskets using compressed fiber sheets. Piece o cake.

3) Changed oil

4) Cleaned out the gas tank and inline filter.

After doing those things, the mower started up smooth like butter on the first pull :biggrin:

But then I noticed a few hours later a small puddle of oil was spreading from under the front of the mower. After some searching, I found the location.

There is a slow drip coming from under the "OHC" (Overhead Cam) metal cover on the front of the engine. Now this is funny, because I DID remove the 4 screws that hold this on place, since I was planning on adjusting the valves. But when I got the 4 screws removed, that cover DID-NOT-BUDGE. Looking around the edges, it was completely glued on with something. I didn't try and force it, I just put the screws back on and decided not to mess with the valves.

So could I have caused the leak somehow? I'm also not sure but I suspect the leak might've been there before, but the deck was so gummed up with clippings that it was creating a seal, and possibly holding the oil in the clippings.

I don't think my unscrewing the OHC cover caused it, since that thing was so tight in place that it didn't budge. But the leak is definitely coming from there, center near the front. It looks like there's a little pressure lock piece from the cam cover there.

Obviously this thing is way out of warranty now (why oh why didn't I contact honda immediately after I bought this thing?) But do you guys think this is serious? Or should I just make sure and check the oil level before I run it each time? The leak seems to have slowed down, and the oil level is at the bottom end of the measuring stick.

Thanks!

napaman9

Threads
  • / Honda HRX217vka: I just overhauled it, runs great... but found oil leak from OHC
i would assume you caused the leak it would be best to replace the gasket and your leak will be solved ,second choice is rtv your old gasket but make sure you let it dry before you fire it up i did the same thing recently ,it sounds like it is stuck because the way you described the carb condition is my guess

Ictus

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I'm assuming to replace that gasket, I will need to get the OHC cover completely off??

Any idea how to do it without damaging it? The cover is pretty thin feeling metal, and its glued on there REALLY well.

Also, I'm a bit of a Noob... so what does RTV stand for?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cover is glued on with a rtv sealant that Honda calls Hondabond. Be very careful when removing because I have bent them trying to remove them. Clean the cover and the top of the head of all oil residue and apply a new thin amount of sealant. the Honda stuff look like black rtv sealant. If there is any residue of oil on the parts the sealant want stick properly and cause it to leak again.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like they both said RTV Room Temperature Vulcanizing (silicon) sealer, available at all automotive supply stores...
Take your time removing it, clean it well and reapply, follow directions on the tube.

Always fix a leak, you never know when it will get worse... so fix it when you find it, & you will keep all that oil inside where it will do the most good.... :smile:KennyV

Ictus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys. I will get some of the Hondabond.

Any tips for removing the cover?? was thinking of starting with a razor blade to get in.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Any tips for removing the cover??

Start at the leak... it's obviously already unstuck at that location... :smile:KennyV

benski

Threads
Sometimes a wood block under the lip of the cover mayl help to pry it off without distorting the cover.:eek:, depending on the style of the cover. Another thing you might do before you remove the cover is take a dab of pipe sealant an put JUST A LITTLE BIT on the threads of the fasteners that hold the cover in place. If that doesn't work, you haven't lost too much. A razor knife or utility knife might get you in. I've also seen some spray on gasket remover at auto parts stores. It may be worth a shot, but I think it's intended to soften gaskets that are already apart..