Honda HRX Surging and Popping

HazyOmega

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a GCV190. There is 4 gaskets : Airbox -> Gasket -> Metal plate -> Gasket -> Carb - > Gasket ->Auto Choke > Gasket -> Engine

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks guys, I never cleaned the engine and now that you mention it, looks dirty and dusty.
?‍♂️ I always thought the guys cleaning the engine was for the look ... but now that you mention it, is does make sense to keep it clean.

I'll also try checking the gasket.
If the fins are dirty, it stops cylinder block and head cooling. That leads to warped aluminum blocks, bores out of round, valve seats popping out, valve guides coming loose and so on. It overheats the engine. These are air and oil cooled engines. No coolant to cool them. Should be cleaned yearly or more if you bag or side sling. When you scalp in the spring, tons of dirt and grass fly airborne. The flywheel sucks all that cloud into the fin area. Older engines leak oil which attracts dirt. Grass locks onto it like mad. You are not just cleaning surface dust which you should do as well.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure you clean the bottom of the cylinder too. Most engines have a side metal cover that hugs the lower cylinder block fin area. Grass and junk will get trapped in there easily.

slomo