Honda HRX Mower HST Cruise control system

EnterpriseJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I am hoping there is someone out there that can shed some light on an issue that I have been having with my Honda. First, I bought it a month ago and after two cuts the cruise control began to die on me. When at full throttle it would only creep along and would barely move. basically making this a push mower with no cruise control help. Anyone that owns a Honda knows they are quite heavy to push without the cruise. Anyway, so I was really bummed after paying $850 for a push mower, expecting nothing but the best from Honda only to find myself taking it in for repairs after two cuts. My lawn is only a 1/3 acre. The problem was fixed under warranty. The fix from the Honda dealership was "Found top seal leaking, remove and replaced seals, performed trans flush and reinstalled trans. Adjust and test operation." However, I am not sure it is completely fixed. When at full throttle it makes a rumbling chain like rattle sound. I am not sure if this is normal since this is my first Honda mower. Also the first two or three notches on the cruise throttle don't even make the tires spin. Not until the you move it to the fourth notch do the tires begin to move. Again is this normal? Anyone with a Honda mower please give me some feedback on the HST cruise system and how it works for you and the sounds it makes when engaged. Thank You!

lakeviewpe

Threads
Enterprise,

I rarely see a problem with the HRX HSA transmissions. If the first one was leaking and you are having a problem, it may not have been repaired properly, there should not be a grinding sound at all. This mower is by far superior to any out there. As far as movement, normally it will not move on the first notch and then will barely move when on the second and so on. There may need to be a cable adjustment to get that set right. Take it to your authorized honda repair center and they should take care of everything. Honda is really good about customer satisfaction, and I have replaced maybe 2 of those transmissions in 4 years, and they were for commercial users.

EnterpriseJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you in responding back so quickly. I just had it at the repair center and they said that they tested it. But the fact is I don't hear the vibrating/rattleing sound unless the cruise is engaged and I am pushing through grass. I'm afraid they just turned on the cruise and it worked but didn't actually field test it. I may be back at the repair shop again. Thank you again for your help.

Enterprise,

I rarely see a problem with the HRX HSA transmissions. If the first one was leaking and you are having a problem, it may not have been repaired properly, there should not be a grinding sound at all. This mower is by far superior to any out there. As far as movement, normally it will not move on the first notch and then will barely move when on the second and so on. There may need to be a cable adjustment to get that set right. Take it to your authorized honda repair center and they should take care of everything. Honda is really good about customer satisfaction, and I have replaced maybe 2 of those transmissions in 4 years, and they were for commercial users.