Honda HRX 217 surging

diezelraccoon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a new Honda HRX 217 last summer. It’s been in the garage over the winter and had a little gas in it but it since evaporated. I filled it with gas and it must have taken me 30 pulls to get it to start but it will not run at low idle and only high idle but it surges. When I engage the blades it runs normal. I took the carb off and took out both jets and sprayed them out with carb cleaner including inside the carb itself. I also made sure all the holes in the main jet were clear. I put the carb back on but it still surges at high idle and dies when slowed down to low idle. At a loss with what the issue is. Any help would be appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Adjust valves with engine cold. What grade octane gasoline are you using & fuel treatment if any?
I use 93 octane gasoline & Star Tron fuel Treatment on all outdoor power equipment.
Honda Parts Nation is the place to go to when you need parts, lowest prices I've found & ship fast to your door.

Last edited:

JBtoro

Threads
If you are confident that you have thoroughly cleaned it, you have 2 options: 1) buy a new carb on Amazon for as low as $10 from time to time or 2) buy a set of micro drill bits (cheap) and open up the main jet in increments until (hopefully) the surging ceases. Hondas are finicky.