I have a Honda Harmony II HRT216 KS3A (serial MZCG-6324929) with a throttle lever that has failed internally. As a temporary fix, I drilled an external hole in the lever and managed to keep it working for a while. Unfortunately, the throttle cable has since deteriorated beyond repair, leaving the mower inoperable due to both the damaged cable and broken throttle lever.
My mower appears to be somewhat of a unicorn. It uses a standalone left-handle throttle lever housing with an upper-exit cable and a positive-action throttle cable measuring approximately 47 inches in length. From what I can tell, Honda may have pulled parts from a different design during this production run and then discontinued this configuration entirely.
After a significant amount of research, I was able to identify the original Honda part numbers as:
17910-VE2-800 — Throttle Cable
17851-VE2-800 — Lever Housing
Every Honda parts source I've contacted insists these part numbers are invalid and points me to 17850-VG3-D01, which is also what the Honda parts fiche appears to show for nearly all HRT216 models. I purchased the -D01 assembly and confirmed that it is not compatible with my mower. It uses a lower-exit, negative-action cable, and the cable itself is approximately 16 inches too long.
Another commonly suggested alternative is 17850-VG3-010, but its cable is about 3 inches too short and will not reach the carburetor.
Has anyone run into this oddball configuration before? If so, were you able to find a compatible replacement assembly, adapt another Honda setup, or source these discontinued parts from another supplier?
Any suggestions or firsthand experience would be greatly appreciated.
My mower appears to be somewhat of a unicorn. It uses a standalone left-handle throttle lever housing with an upper-exit cable and a positive-action throttle cable measuring approximately 47 inches in length. From what I can tell, Honda may have pulled parts from a different design during this production run and then discontinued this configuration entirely.
After a significant amount of research, I was able to identify the original Honda part numbers as:
17910-VE2-800 — Throttle Cable
17851-VE2-800 — Lever Housing
Every Honda parts source I've contacted insists these part numbers are invalid and points me to 17850-VG3-D01, which is also what the Honda parts fiche appears to show for nearly all HRT216 models. I purchased the -D01 assembly and confirmed that it is not compatible with my mower. It uses a lower-exit, negative-action cable, and the cable itself is approximately 16 inches too long.
Another commonly suggested alternative is 17850-VG3-010, but its cable is about 3 inches too short and will not reach the carburetor.
Has anyone run into this oddball configuration before? If so, were you able to find a compatible replacement assembly, adapt another Honda setup, or source these discontinued parts from another supplier?
Any suggestions or firsthand experience would be greatly appreciated.