Honda HRA214 wont start with new plug, fresh gas?

CDF89

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys. I got a used HRA214 for my gf to use when im away working.

ive personally struggled to get it to start a few times, and she really struggles, she cant even get it started when im gone. her brother couldnt either.

what could this be? its got a brand new spark plug and fresh fuel. I am thinking of taking the carb apart and cleaning the jets. but otherwise I dont know what else to look at. if it needs any money tossed at it its almost easier and cheaper to just buy another one for $200.

thanks

dougand3

Threads
First, diagnose the problem. Simple tests....
1. Squirt a tsp of fuel in plug hole. Pull rope 5-15x. If it runs for 2 -3 secs - you have a fuel delivery problem....probably carb.
2. Pull plug, re-attach boot and ground metal on cyl fins. Pull rope and look for spark. No spark....coil issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To start you need fuel in a combustable ratio with air
You need compression
You need an ignition source ( spark ) that happens at the right time.

I am a bit on the lazy side and really do not want to type 37 pages of text on how to diagnose a small engine so how about a little more information other than your better 1/2 can not start it.

Why ?
Is it too hard to pull the starter rope ( exhaust valve not opening / decompressor not working )

Does it pull really easy with little compression ( worn rings , stuck valves , blown head gasket )

Does it snatch the rope out of your hands ( timing out )

Does it backfire through the carb or exhaust

Does it just do nothing ( choke not fully close ).

When it does not start, do you smell fuel, is the plug wet or dry ?

CDF89

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the replies guys. those youtube videos look very handy too, thanks. I have done most of that stuff. I tested the spark plug and it had a good spark, new plug too.

I have not poured fuel down the plug hole yet I dont think.

the mower just does nothing. it seems to have decent compression, I know the timing is right as it just ran last month. the pull starter pulls easy, it doesnt backfire ever. the air filter was just opened up and its clean. its got fresh fuel and a fresh plug with a confirmed spark.... gotta be the carb then?

im going to be at her house later this week.... weve got 2' of snow now but id still like to get it running while im there. its got air, its got spark, and im sure its getting fuel. I will smell the spark plug next time.

I am 80% sure its something in the carb. what jet/circuit is responsible for starting/idiling?

if I need to rebuild the carb with new jets and maybe throw new piston rings in it, is that an option? as well as a new wheel bearing, or at that point is it just cheaper to pay the $200 for another lightly used one.

if I were to throw my compression tester on it.... what should it be reading?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Compression testers aren't very reliable on small engines since they have a decompresser on the camshaft for easier starting.

I would pour has down the plug hole, if it starts , good spark and spark at the correct time.
Then toss some fuel into the carb from behind the air filter , starts then dies fuel problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK,
Now we have something to work with.
Pull the airfilter off and look down the carb to see if the choke is closing fully.
If not then loosen the throttle cable clamp and move the cable.
Also check the position of the cable.
Most go under the screw, if put on top then you run out of travel before the choke is fully closed.