Export thread

Honda GXV530 question

D

Dewman

Hi all. New guy to this forum. I have a Hustler mower with a Honda GXV 530 engine. I had an issue with the clutch and pulled the engine. After the work was done (10 month process), I reinstalled the engine. When I tried to attach the battery cables, there was a spark and the starter seemed to be turning backward (turning, but not engaging). I checked the wiring and removed the starter solenoid. I tried to connect the battery with the solenoid removed and there was no spark during the connection and there was no noise from the engine. I reinstalled the solenoid and the same spark and starter engagement as before. I rebuilt a starter in an old car years ago and had the brushes wrong, so it spun in the wrong direction. That's kinda what this sounds like.. I know something is spinning and I assume it's the starter, but it's not turning the engine. I checked for a short across the solenoid, but the wirings are not touching. I assume a bad solenoid or starter. Any ideas?

Catherine

Catherine

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Honda section to see if we can find you an answer.

D

Dewman

I have dug a little more. The starter is turning when the battery is connected and the key is not on or in the ignition. The solenoid is not engaging the starter. I replaced the solenoid thinking that the solenoid might be allowing the starter to turn without the ignition. No luck, still the same issue. May be the starter relay?

B

bertsmobile1

So do you have the Japan engine which has the solenoid piggy back on the starter or the USA version with a remote solenoid ?
The starter can not energise unless the solenoid triggers.
And the solenoid triggers through the small wire connected to the spade terminal.
IT should show 0 volts at all times except when the key is in the start position.

The other small wire ( usually red ) connected to the heavy power terminal is the power feed to the entire mower.
So check them both and tell us what you find.