Honda GX270 Cylinder Head Cracks

ebiz_fanatics

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to forum and a novice in small engine repair. I acquired a GX270 engine as part of a Porter Cable generator setup with 413 hours on it and don't know the maintenance history. The engine had some slight surging issues that resulted in variable generator voltage output so I started tearing it apart to rebuild any areas of concern. On the bottom of the cylinder head I found cracking and was wondering if this is normal wear and tear in the picture below? I can't see any areas where the cracks go all the way through the head and did not do a compression test prior to removing it from the block. Is it recommended I replace this cylinder head regardless of compression test results? Thank you in advance for any help.

gx270_head.JPG

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've never dealt with a cracked head before.... so please wait and see what other members have to say.

I would worry about the cracks next to the valve seats... if it cracks enough near the seats i wouldn't say it won't cause the seats to fall out during operation.
a quick search came up with a few Honda NEW heads, for $60-$80. From PartsTree it's $236. PartNumber 12200-zh9-406

ebiz_fanatics

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply and part number suggestions. I have the same concerns so I will see if others have dealt with this before.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like a poor casting. Not sure if cracks a problem. I would just replace it.

I get aftermarket parts from here a lot.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me those look like casing flaws, not cracks, and in my opinion I would not worry about them. Quick test, take some abrasive paper and sand the one in the bottom of the picture smooth. If it goes away no problems, if it stays it’s cracked.

ebiz_fanatics

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tied sanding them and it confirmed They are cracks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Could you post a picture of what they look like now?

ebiz_fanatics

Forum Newbie
Threads
I submitted a case to Honda so we shall see their response regarding the cracking. I will report back on findings. Thanks to all.