Honda GX200 push rod problem

kmiller69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi:

I found a dewalt power washer with a gx200 engine lying in a trash heap. I have one almost identical, so thought I would grab it for parts. Turns out it wasn't it too bad of shape, so thought I would try to bring it back to life. After digging around in it a bit, I discovered the exhaust valve was stuck open. I took the head off and freed up the valve and cleaned things up. But when I put the head back on and tried to install the pushrods (new ones), I discovered one of the pushrods was sticking out further than the other. So took the head off again, looked into the holes where the pushrods go. This is where things are murky as I'm a rookie at this. I'm not sure what's it called (seat, bore.. don't know) but the thing the pushrod sits on (tappet, lifter?) is stuck. If I use a magnet on the intake side, I can move the thingee up and down. The exhaust side wont' move. I did tap it down, so the pushrods are even if I set them in there, but it won't slide freely up and down like the intake valve side. I hope this makes sense. I thought maybe these move when the engine turns, but they don't. Is that correct? So my goal is to loosen this thing up and make it work like the intake side, because there was no rust on the valve or anything else on that side. So right now it is soaking in PB blaster. I assume I do need to get this freed up before re-assembly? Or will it free up when the motor heats up? I should be able to get proper valve clearance now that is is seated down all the way. Any tips on freeing that up (if it needs to be) would be helpful. Otherwise do I need to disassemble motor further?

Thanks everyone. Happy to be part of this forum!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome.
bad news is you are going to have to split the cases.
The bit you are talking about is called a tappet or cam follower AFAIK thye are button, or mushroom shape if you like so no reason why it would be stuck.
Some engines have shoe shaped ones that can turn sideways & jamb when there is no load on them but they are usually found in motorcycles& ATVs.
Don't buy any parts till you see what damage is inside the engine.

kmiller69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply. The valve on that side was rusted stuck, and the pushrod was also rusty. So could the tappet also have rusted in place?

What kind of damage should I be looking for if I split the cases? What is the sequence for the splitting the cases in a pressure washer? I assume somehow I have to separate the pump from the engine?

Thanks so much for the help!

kmiller69

Forum Newbie
Threads
UPDATE: I split the case and sure enough the tappet/lifter was rusted in the hole. I was able to just punch it into the crankcase using the old rod (I have new ones). The tappet doesn't look bent or anything, so I thought I would just clean it up and reuse it (unless anyone advises against that).

Will have to order the gasket, so will update the forum if I can get it back together and running.

kmiller69

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I got it back together, it ran for like 5 seconds, died, and I couldn't start it again.

Checked spark, carbs, etc. Then took off rocker arm cover. The exhaust valve had fallen out of the keeper. When I was putting it back together, the cap on top of the spring didn't feel that secure, so I'm not too surprised it vibrated off. Did I put it back together wrong, or is there some deeper reason the cap may not fit securely?

Could any damage have been done to the valve by coming loose? Maybe smashing into the piston? Do I need to take it out to see if its bent? Can I compress the spring enough to get it into the cap/keeper with the head on the motor? Seems like the valve will slip down into the cylinder..

Thanks for the help!