Honda GCV190 won't start

attitude

Forum Newbie
It's driving me crazy. I'm not highly mechanically inclined, but I can follow directions. :)

Mower started on first pull for 2 years. It started to do these mini surges when it was cold, but as it warmed it was fine. Warning sign.

Then, while mowing, about 15 minutes in, it died.

What I've done.

Oil is good. Was a little low but filled.

Air filter looks fine.

Replaced gasoline (ethanol free of course) & cleaned tank and filter

Cleaned carburetor - no help.

Installed new carburetor / new gaskets - nothing

New spark plug - nope

New choke assembly and Thermowax - nothing

New ignition coil. Lined up correctly, gauged, etc. Flywheel key looks in place - Still not starting.

I get a little "backfire, when I pull but it never starts.


What else can I try? Any help appreciated! Thanks.
 
On second thought, maybe I'm not so sure about the flywheel key. I thought that was it in the picture but that is not what the new ones look like...

Is that the key or does it look like the key is missing? Thanks.

key.gif
 
I cant see it that well with the shadow.... The key is in there but is it lined up perfectly with BOTH notches ???

Some look down and see a key but they see just the flywheel part and not the other half 1 inch away.....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!
 
Don't need a puller.
Back off the nut/bolt 2 turns
Put a pry bar under the flywheel and pry up on the flywheel hard.
Now smack the nut/bolt hard with the biggest hammer you can lay your hands on.
The flywheel only needs to move 0.010" to break the lock on the taper.
 
Thanks for the tips. The flywheel came off fairly easily after a few taps.

The key looked fine and lined up. Still stumped.

key2.gif
 
Put some gas in a squirt bottle... A Dawn dish washing liquid bottle or something similar to it and squirt a small amount of gas in the carb and pull the rip cord.....

See what happens and let us know Mon Ami ~!~! That's the 1st step.......
 
Back
Top