Honda 1211 - Honda GX340 engine not starting

goodo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I started the mower, drove along and the cutter deck ground out and the engine ground to a halt. I tried to restart but nothing. There is a click from the little round thing next to the starter motor when I turn the key to start, but the starter isn’t engaging. Battery voltage is 13V, so plenty of volts. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong or how I can get this thing running? Is it the starter motor? A click normally indicates low voltage, but the battery is fine, so I’m a bit lost and would appreciated any pointers. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3049.jpeg
    IMG_3049.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Inspect all electrical connections for rust & corrosion, clean as necessary, make sure all connections are tight & secure by hand. You say battery is good at 13v, I wouldn't consider removing battery & having it load tested at Auto Parts Store for free.

goodo

Forum Newbie
Threads
It turned out to be the starter motor. I had noticed that the starter had made grinding noises occasionally instead of engaging and turning over the engine.

I went through all the diagnostics,

1. I tested all of the switches for continuity. There are three main ones which will stop the engine starting: the mower deck which is behind the battery and accessed from the battery cover, the neutral switch which is located near side back of transaxle (blue switch using top two poles for normally open) and the seat switch which detects the driver. The parking brake which is located under the front floor and is accessed by removing four screws either side, is required to keep the engine spinning if you get off the seat.

There are more switches, but these are for other functions.

I tested all switches and they were fine

2. I tested the solenoid, and that was fine.

Starter motor was the culprit!

Pretty easy to change. Locking and removing the flywheel was the hardest part. Have a look on YouTube for Honda HF1211 starter motor replacement. I’ll post a video.

Best Andrew