Homelite HSD20

Msjeeps911

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old homelite walkbehind with a b&s quantum 3.5. I want to replace the motor as it leaks oil and runs poor now. Is there a motor that has the same bolt pattern?

DDS

Forum Newbie
Threads
You must buy a new replacement engine and make some changes there are no old quantums in that configuration available that I know of.

There are many B&S engines that have the same bolt pattern, but the problem is finding an engine that has a 25mm shaft X 2 7/16" lg and the recoil starter orientated in the correct position.

I replaced the engine on my HSD20M UT30155 last summer with a B&S 126L02-1026. The problems I had was the recoil starter was not in the right orientation and I had to rotate the recoil starter on top of the engine 90 degrees. This requires drilling out three pop rivets and replacing them with small screw and nuts and then cutting a new hole thru the plastic top cover. It works fine and is mostly unnoticeable. I also had to improvise for one of the main engine mounting bolts by using a piece of threaded rod (5/16-18) x 5" long. The original bolt was a short 3/8-16. There may have been a few other things i had to improvise but all in all it went quickly.

I have been rebuilding my HSD20M for 21 years now. I love the diminutive size and weight and as I get older I find I am having a harder time controlling the large heavy mowers that are being sold today. I also have a big bulky Toro but I always go back to my Homelite when I have to cut the steep areas. Unfortunately there are no spare parts left for these mowers and I am spending way to much time in the shop. If you are not as in love with yours, why not consider selling your entire mower (less engine) to me? I would love to have it for spare parts.

jpb62@juno.com