Hoisting front of Pony for service

W1964

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it ok to lift the front of a TB Pony to change blades? I have a hoist. Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is exactly what I do 29 times a week

Sling it up by the front cross member and stand it up on its bum.
Just watch the battery & fuel tank
A ,sealed battery should be fine but if the tank is full you might need to either drain it or put some cling wrap over the spout the screw the cap on tight.

W1964

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great. Thank you for your response. I did not know Cling is impervious to gasoline. Good idea. Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cling will not be able to cling onto the HDPE plastic tank so will leak around the cling / tank interface. thus a couple of layers and the need to put the cap back on tight.
Some plastic bags will also work but most are too hard & will crease so provide a path for the fuel to leak out of .
Don't know how long it will last for but I have found cling wrap in fuel tanks and I have had mowers up for a week or so .
Good luck
Whle it is up in the air with no weight on the steering, give the front end a grease the steering pins are best greased like this

Gator325

Threads
Great. Thank you for your response. I did not know Cling is impervious to gasoline. Good idea. Thanks again.
I just replaced the blades on mne by removing the mower deck. What a royal pain. I will try this next time. What a time saver.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A riding friend of mine has been fixing mowers for 50 years
He is about 300 lbs with the girth that you would imagine for that weight
So any mower he was to get under would need to be 3' off the ground if not more.
When i was at his place just after buying the repair run I asked him what jacks he was using.
Terry laughed , took me round the back to show me his tripod with a mower hanging off it and an old childs swing set with another mower hanging off it.
That was just about the last time I jacked up a mower unless it was an onsite job .