Export thread

Here's something I had to happen to me today.

StarTech

StarTech

This really pissed me off to a point. I stop to buy $45 of fuel and ask for a receipt as I usually do for business expenses. The clerk asked for a phone number and would not process the payment; unless, I gave it to him. I refused and demand my money back. I went 1/4 mile down and got my gas. I will not be going to that crazy station again.

Why in the heck they need my phone number just to sell me gasoline? I don't want telemarketers bugging me on the phone.

B

bertsmobile1

Happens every day
I have an old phone & old phone number for that purpose
It gets anything up to 200 calls a day and usually only 1 or 2 of them will leave a message .
When covid lock downs were in force that rose to a maximum of 800 calls till the battery went flat .
Naturally it sits on a shelf & gets looked at in the morning over breakfast
Yesterday there were 44 calls with no messages .
Good thing down here is the Federal tax laws require a receipt for every purchase over $ 1
So when some one asks if I want a receipt I ask them if they want me to report them to the Tax office for a $ 30,000 fine .
The big two supermarkets are actively lobbying for changes to the receipt laws to speed things up through the checkouts and of course save them around $ 250,000 for till rolls .

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Weird. I would have left too. What hacks me off is more places are going cashless. I don't want to use a card for a $1.50 cup of coffee.

StarTech

StarTech

Weird. I would have left too. What hacks me off is more places are going cashless. I don't want to use a card for a $1.50 cup of coffee.
Kinda the same way here as I refuse to have a debit card. For me if they refuse cash for simple purchase they can just keep the item. It like back when K-mart tried going strictly to self serve check outs. I had a whole basket of food that I just left behind for them to go put back on the shelves themselves. Hope they got off their backsides quickly as ice cream tend melt quickly. Boy that policy quickly changed after multiple customers did the same thing.

But several my local vendors don't accept cash because they don't have a local bank account.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I will use a credit card for most stuff but cash for the small stuff. I do carry 5 $100 bills tucked away in the wallet for those " i have cash right now" opportunity purchases.

B

bertsmobile1

The Wet Dreams of Tax departments
a totally cashless economy where they will know every cent every person spends and can compare that your declaired income .
Police back this up with the delusion that a cashless community would have reduced crime because the money would be traceable .
We are seriously looking at removing $ 100 bills from circulation for a similar reason.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

The Wet Dreams of Tax departments
a totally cashless economy where they will know every cent every person spends and can compare that your declaired income .
Police back this up with the delusion that a cashless community would have reduced crime because the money would be traceable .
We are seriously looking at removing $ 100 bills from circulation for a similar reason.
So true.

StarTech

StarTech

I remember when there was 500, 1000, and 5000 bills.

Yes the IRS want every penny of taxes they can get yet they will not honor the law when comes to paying the Covid stimulus money (at least I haven't received a dang penny of it). The Idiot Ran Service hasn't even process my last two tax returns as my last Social Security is showing no income reported for the last two years. I going send my next tax returns with no payment maybe I get some action then. Calling them does no good as their computer just keeps hanging up on me saying they are too busy to answer the phone.

And with my latest experience with the new checking account at Redstone Credit Union I don't even feel safe putting my money in the bank now. I trying get my credit card bill paid at another CU and they are delaying the payment for at least two weeks which is putting my business in a bind as I purchase nearly all parts using the MC and I have a 2K limit.

BTW thieves can do a lot more damage to a person's savings when they got the plastic cards. They can actually scan the cards while are in our wallets; unless, you anti scan wallets. I just meet person that a victim of Debit card thief Friday. That makes the fourth customer of mine that has been a victim of Debit card thief even though the card never left their present.

StarTech

StarTech

And if our banks so decided to do so they could seize our money with the government blessings. Here is what just happen in China.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/10/china/china-henan-bank-depositors-protest-mic-intl-hnk/index.html

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

The IRS is dicking me this year. Accountant did the taxes and now the IRS says what i paid for healthcare on the return doesn't match the the amount the form THE GOVERNMENT SENT ME ! Really??? She used that form to fill out the return. Holding up a sizeable refund. Thanks IRS

StarTech

StarTech

The IRS is dicking me this year. Accountant did the taxes and now the IRS says what i paid for healthcare on the return doesn't match the the amount the form THE GOVERNMENT SENT ME ! Really??? She used that form to fill out the return. Holding up a sizeable refund. Thanks IRS
Sounds about right. Why you think I call them the "Idiot Ran Service"?

They are now so screwed up they don't pay the funds that are owed to the tax payer but will take legal actions to collect funds that are not owed to the government. I use to be able to go to the local IRS office and get things done but now the closest office is in Memphis and even drove the two hour to get there, I can't even get in there because I don't have a star on my driver's license. Just another government roadblock throw in the way to keep the tax payer from getting anything done.

I wouldn't be surprised the Social Security finds a way to screw me out of the rocking chair money and Medicare in two years.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

This really pissed me off to a point. I stop to buy $45 of fuel and ask for a receipt as I usually do for business expenses. The clerk asked for a phone and would not process the payment; unless, I gave it to him. I refused and demand my money back. I went 1/4 mile down and got my gas. I will not be going to that crazy station again.

Why in the heck they need my phone number just to sell me gasoline? I don't want telemarketers bugging me on the phone.

Pizza Hut did the same thing to me. They wouldn't even take my order without a phone number. I felt like a Karen standing there arguing with the manager. But dang it, I just wanted a pizza.
I ended up going to Walmart, getting two of theirs for less than I would've paid for 1 Pizza Hut pizza. No questions asked.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Happens every day
I have an old phone & old phone number for that purpose
It gets anything up to 200 calls a day and usually only 1 or 2 of them will leave a message .
When covid lock downs were in force that rose to a maximum of 800 calls till the battery went flat .
Naturally it sits on a shelf & gets looked at in the morning over breakfast
Yesterday there were 44 calls with no messages .
Good thing down here is the Federal tax laws require a receipt for every purchase over $ 1
So when some one asks if I want a receipt I ask them if they want me to report them to the Tax office for a $ 30,000 fine .
The big two supermarkets are actively lobbying for changes to the receipt laws to speed things up through the checkouts and of course save them around $ 250,000 for till rolls .

You just gave me a good idea. I'm going to start giving out my ex's phone number in instances like this.

B

bertsmobile1

You just gave me a good idea. I'm going to start giving out my ex's phone number in instances like this.
Naughty.
But it is a big problem
Most of the people in my social circle who are in IT have a sim card they bought, authenticated then removed from the phone
Thus when which ever snoopy moron calls the number the system sees a real valid phone number that is switched off or unavailable
Down side is it costs around $ 80 /year to keep the sim card active but most feel it is money well spent .
Interesting that none of them have any social media either .
I have a specific email address that I use for joining all forums & groups
When I join , I turn off the rule that sends every message to the trash , authenticate my membership then turn the rule back on again
And none of them do phone or internet banking either .

M

MowManWV

Just wait till Biden's 87,000 new IRS agents get going!

I'm at a bit of a loss.....OP.....did the clerk want your phone number or did the clerk want your phone?

StarTech

StarTech

He want the phone number. If he wanted a phone I got one in the truck somewhere that has been ran over several times at 55 mph +.

I go back correct the post adding "number". I do think faster than I type.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

This really pissed me off to a point. I stop to buy $45 of fuel and ask for a receipt as I usually do for business expenses. The clerk asked for a phone number and would not process the payment; unless, I gave it to him. I refused and demand my money back. I went 1/4 mile down and got my gas. I will not be going to that crazy station again.

Remember when you wanted to use a website for something. You'd just go to that website and use it. Now, you have to create an account, give them your email and sometimes phone number. Create a screen name. blah blah blah. And they're claiming they're protecting your privacy. LMAO..
Next thing you know, you're email is getting spammed and robocalls coming on your phone 10 times a day.

StarTech

StarTech

The other day my PayPal account would not let me login demanding a mobile telephone number. Don't even have a mobile phone that works and haven't for the last ten years. I called to find how to get around it they had no idea how I could get around it. I explain to them I did not have a mobile number and it just when in one ear and out the other. I finally figured a way on my own what they were wanting. I was about to the point of just setting up another account. All I was needing to that day was to delete a closed bank account and setup the new bank account for auto pay to PayPal.

All I normally use PayPal for is add an extra layer of security between the vendor and my credit card. As I had my card info stolen 4x of in the last 10 years. Bailey's was the worst offender when someone installed a key logging program on their system.

Having it stolen is a pain as it shuts me down for at least a week while wait on a new card.

B

bertsmobile1

We are now in 4th gen IT geeks and for them the magic phrase is "Data Capture"
I was at round table working on log books for historic vehicles.
The people on my table were all from the IT department and they wanted every one to log into an app on their phone rather than use a paper book.
I asked why & the answer was for data capture so the next question was why ?
They had no answer .
Then the delegation from the bush asked them what would happen if you could not log in as 80% of the Australian land mass has no mobile phone coverage
Again they had no answer.
Being city based IT geeks none of them has ever been more than 10 miles from their computers .
But the alternative on line log book has just been released
And it has a space for start & end point .
As all of our rides go in a loop we put the same point in for both and it crashed .

But that is what they drum into the heads of IT people now days
Data is bigger than God and you must capture every scrap of data that you can .

If you feel narky & want to have fun at the expense of your phone company, take the sim card out of your phone several times a day
Then when they call you telling you your phone is faulty ask them how they know that if they are not tracking your phone .

And if your really want to feel parrinoid, do a google search using your own name .
I shop mostly at a corner store because they do not have a spy wear scheme monitoring what I purchase and I always pay with cash

I

ILENGINE

My day consisted of taking my father to the doctor at 8 this morning, and then found out he had gangrene on the toes on his left foot. Drove the extra 25 miles to the hospital to the ER, got there about 10 am and by 11 knew they were going to admit him. and start him on IV antibiotics. As of 4 pm he was not on his antibiotics, and was still waiting on a hospital room. At 4 I drove the hour home, to discover that his diabetes doctor has put in a request for a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) which was turned down 2 months ago. So with the arrival of his CGM supplies now until I get this stuff sent back and give the doctor that gave the unauthorized order for supplies a stern talking to, I can't get his normal test supplies.

StarTech

StarTech

And these ER doctors won't listen to the patient either. My neighbor which has AFib. He had to go to the ER due pneumonia introduced by Covid. The ER insisted on changing his AFib meds. It took over two months for his regular heart doctor to straighten him back out. ER doctors and regular will kill you by their stupid mistakes and they can get by with it.

Then my nut case of a doctor insisted of changing my BP meds from the one that was working fine to one that doesn't. Same med but without the water pill part. His office it would take a month for things to work. Well two months later I was still running at a level that would require me to be in the ER so I when on a crash diet to get it under control. Not where I need to be but at least most day it is under 150/100.
Then I fired the doctor so he calls in another bunch of pills, refusing to me put back on what was working. What worst he never call me to about the change. I only found out about the change when I went for a refill of the current pill.

And to Bert it seems everyone here wants my cell phone number. One problem though. I don't have a cell phone as they simply don't work where I live so it is impossible to give them the number.

I

ILENGINE

@StarTech I am stuck between doctors wanting to control my fathers diabetes with different meds, and it seems like what works for now doesn't work six months later. And increase in doses or changes of meds seems to have no effect on his glucose numbers. And then through in the fact his eating happens are somewhat OCD, which means he will eats the same things everyday unless I have the time to cook for him, and practically fix his plate for him. And it seems like if we increase his meds it gives him an excuse to eat more. Even doubling his insulin has no effect on his numbers. And this doctor then hits me with surprise CGM supplies that we turned down two months ago. And the arrival of these supplies locks out getting refills for this current supplies. And using a CGM would be fine but it just puts more work on me. With his current finger stick method he can do that himself. but with a CGM I will be having to put the sensors on him. I will have to take the sensors off of him to change them, I will have to deal with the malfunctions at 2 am, and he will just ignore what it says anyway and go through his everyday OCD routine.

StarTech

StarTech

Yes when you are the care giver the doctors seems to think we have all the time in the world to do things when we got other things that has to be done. It is a lot easier when patient cooperates and can do things themselves but many are not.

It like having someone with dementia it is a 24/7 thing with very little room for yourself or your work. My mother had it and after she died it took nearly a year for my health to recover. I didn't even realized how exhausted I was at the time. I just couldn't break my promise to my mother about not putting her in a nursing home. It really would have help if my brother would had help out but he refused to do anything to help.

I

ILENGINE

And on today's episode of wanting to strangle the customer:

Received a Briggs 407777 into the shop that customer says just quit running while mowing. So far I have found the fuel pump suction line cut off and then turned backwards into the valve cover. Customer has installed a ebay fuel pump with the lines connected incorrectly, The old metal square fuel pump was removed and the nuts that hold it together are gone. The governor springs are installed incorrectly and the main governor spring is bent and stretched. The customer removed the fuel bowl and lost the float valve, but instead of getting the correct float valve has installed a float valve from a Tecumseh. the breather line to the air filter intake is disconnected which also means that the blower housing has been removed and what he has done inside of there I haven't got that far yet.

And now I have replace the damaged and missing parts, undo all the non-repairs just to find out what is wrong with it.

StarTech

StarTech

At least he didn't use MotoSeal to replace the bowl gasket...yet.

B

bertsmobile1

And on today's episode of wanting to strangle the customer:

Received a Briggs 407777 into the shop that customer says just quit running while mowing. So far I have found the fuel pump suction line cut off and then turned backwards into the valve cover. Customer has installed a ebay fuel pump with the lines connected incorrectly, The old metal square fuel pump was removed and the nuts that hold it together are gone. The governor springs are installed incorrectly and the main governor spring is bent and stretched. The customer removed the fuel bowl and lost the float valve, but instead of getting the correct float valve has installed a float valve from a Tecumseh. the breather line to the air filter intake is disconnected which also means that the blower housing has been removed and what he has done inside of there I haven't got that far yet.

And now I have replace the damaged and missing parts, undo all the non-repairs just to find out what is wrong with it.
did they try "thats the way I got line ?"
I always like it when a mower comes in that has been horribly bodged to the point I know it would not be able to run like that and they insist it was like that "x" years ago when they got it .
HAd a customer come in with an ebay special inverter generator that was "working fine & just needs a service " and a Honda SP with a worn clutch that would not go .
IT was rainy so I did not ask them to start them & show me the problem
The Honda was an easy fix & the generator once I pulled the cover off was an easy service neither the oil nor filter was particularly dirty so was no surprise when tested that it produced no power at all, not a milli volt .

I

ILENGINE

At least he didn't use MotoSeal to replace the bowl gasket...yet.
Did find a Simplicity that somebody used black RTV to seal the prongs on the key switch 5 spade connector yesterday. And todays project is a 10 hp tractor with a 60 inch deck.

I

ILENGINE

Also discovered today that Stens is charging me sales tax. even though I sent them a new tax exempt form on August 3. So have already put in an inquiry with them to fix it.

StarTech

StarTech

Several of vendors tried the old removal of tax exemption. And I just call and complain until they accept my tax exemption certificate. The only one that gave me the run around was Advance Auto Parts. When the manage started lying to me I just closed the account. She lost my business over charging and refusing to refund the $25 in sales tax they charge on the batteries I brought for resale.

What she started lying about was saying I never setup my voice mail and that I was giving a bad phone. Well it is on the business cards I left multiple times asking for her to call me. It really pisses me off when a vendor starts lying to me.

Now I did jump Batteries Plus Bulbs yesterday for allowing someone to use my business account which is tax exempt. I would have not known accept for the email I got wanting me to rate the transaction.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Also discovered today that Stens is charging me sales tax. even though I sent them a new tax exempt form on August 3. So have already put in an inquiry with them to fix it.
Stens did that to me starting in 2022 but a phone call fixed it. So far their customer service has been pretty good.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Several of vendors tried the old removal of tax exemption. And I just call and complain until they accept my tax exemption certificate. The only one that gave me the run around was Advance Auto Parts. When the manage started lying to me I just closed the account. She lost my business over charging and refusing to refund the $25 in sales tax they charge on the batteries I brought for resale.

What she started lying about was saying I never setup my voice mail and that I was giving a bad phone. Well it is on the business cards I left multiple times asking for her to call me. It really pisses me off when a vendor starts lying to me.

Now I did jump Batteries Plus Bulbs yesterday for allowing someone to use my business account which is tax exempt. I would have not known accept for the email I got wanting me to rate the transaction.
I setup a tax free account at o'riley with no problem. Guys there are pretty cool and don't mind helping me.

StarTech

StarTech

I setup a tax free account at o'riley with no problem. Guys there are pretty cool and don't mind helping me.
I got business there but they have lost my tax exemption. Having to refile. Just haven't been back in town yet as most errands are done when I go to the bank.

B

bertsmobile1

Again that is where the USA has made a mess of things by trying to protect the wealth of the upper end ,
We went to a broad based GST 22 years ago so every one pays it regardless of weather you are retailing, wholesaling or end user .
Registered business can pass the tax on to the end user and claim a credit for the GST they paid so in total the government should never get any more than the 10% of the final price, thus I pay the 10% on everything I buy locally , everything I buy on a credit card and everything bought through Amazon or Ebay but not on what ever I buy from foreign retailers.
Big business has to do a tax balance ( called a BAS ) monthly & small businesses quarterly and if you run a very small business you can opt out all together & just wear the tax which makes running a single person business very easy & allows me to be very competative price wise although I am right on the border line of being forced to opt in.
IT is about to go to 12% or 15 % shortly it is just a matter of time .
Compared to the old sales tax system, it is a whole lot better as there is just 1 rate and not the phone book of different rates we used to have and the similar phone book of exemptions .

StarTech

StarTech

Here I don't get to deduct the sale taxes paid so the customer is paying it along sale tax again on the new balance as it is part of my base cost plus my markup. IE the customer gets stab twice for taxes.

Example: Part costs $100 plus 9.5% tax = $109.50 . Then I GPM it @ 30%. That is $168.46 plus 9.5% = $184.46. When if I don't pay the tax it is $153.85 plus 9.5% = $168.47. This is assuming a 35% markup.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Are you showing sales tax as income? I don't think i follow you. My accountant has me show parts and labor i charge out as income i then add the 7.5% sales tax that is not included as income. If i paid sales tax on a part i do not include that in what i charge tax on to the customer. I don't pay retail sales tax twice on a part but the tax i paid is passed on to the customer as part of the parts cost.

B

bertsmobile1

As comparred to $100 part +$10 GST = $110 on my shelf
GST get passed through so with the mark up it is $ 135 + $ 13.50 GST so they pay $ 148.50
At the end of the month I claim the $ 10 I paid against the # 13.50 the customer paid so I give the tax man $ 3.50
This killed off all of the retailers who used to start a new business every year, pay no tax because they had an exemption , charge the customer tax then go into voluntary liquidation a day before the end of the financial year so the government got no tax at all .
And because it is done monthly or quarterly you don't end up with a massive tax bill and no money left to pay it with ,
It is so much simplier particularly for the wholesalers as they do not have to keep records of all their customers tax numbers
Big stink when it was introduced but ask any genuine business now days and they will all tell you it is so much easier than the old days
It also means that when Mr money bags gets his company to buy $ 50,000 worth of booze for a personal party, he can not avoid paying the tax on it which was the norm before the GST was introduced .
And it is actually cheaper
We used to pay 35% luxury goods tax on motorcycle clothing provided to our riders ( boots, jackets gloves & helmets ) + 15 % sales tax
This dropped to a flat 10% after the GST
Motorcycle couriers used to be able to buy motorcycles tax exempt if they were a business, then write them off at the end of the year & sell them for less than retail at a good profit.
Similar story with cars & vans
In its first year the tax take actually went up by over 20% which shows just how many were rorting the system.
I would imagine the same would be happening in the USA
You could safely bet that all of the booze drunk by politicans was tax exempt because it was for "business use " & corperate catering .

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Bert, you have no idea how FUBAR tax rates are in the US. Each county in each state sets their own rate. In the county i live in has a fine arts sales tax added in to support theaters in the county as an exemple

StarTech

StarTech

Here it depends what of sales we do as when we paid the sales tax into the government bodies. Currently I paid the collected sales taxes quarterly. In Tennessee we don't a discount on the first $100 of the tax collect but when I was in Alabama I got to keep up to $10 or 10% of the first $100 as a collector's fee.

Now it would be nice to able to deduct the sales taxes I pay on local purchases but those are usually small purchases as I normally go through my distributors that have my sale tax exemption on file. The tax man actually get more as updated retail prices are current and not the lower retail price a few months ago. It just at the end of the year when I pay my income tax on the higher profit margin after my normal business related deductions.

Now as you noted Bert there will always be someone gaming the system to keep from paying their fair share. And this is just not fair to us that do pay our fair share because we have to pay more than would be needed to if just everyone did pay fairly.

Yes Hammer we do have multiple tax rates to deal with depending what is involved. And you can't forget the cities that adds their on tax on top what the others do. I am lucky business wise as what I sell and labor is all taxed the same except for on-site labor being sales tax exempt but I rarely do onsite repairs. When I was Alabama if I sold items and delivery outside my normal place of business every county and city has to paid their rate. And that was a major in the back side.

Now I am hoping to receive some good news from Rotary as I applied for an account with them today. Just like to cut some of the middlemen when I buy their products. When I talked to my local rep for them it sounds like it will be good for my customers, my business, and Rotary. Definitely will make my business more competitive with the local shops.

B

bertsmobile1

Bert, you have no idea how FUBAR tax rates are in the US. Each county in each state sets their own rate. In the county i live in has a fine arts sales tax added in to support theaters in the county as an exemple
Ours was just as bad till some really greedy moron made a constitutional challenge to state based fuel tax .
So faced with loosing a major source of income the states all agreed to a system where the Feds levy the tax & they all get a cut
Mind you we only had to get agreement from 8 governments not 50 .
States still levee taxes, but not sales tax apart from stamp duty which is payable on every contract that has to be registered like buying a house.
Local government taxes land to cover the costs of local roads, waste collection & all those town hall type things
I always have a laugh at the idiot morons who compare our income tax to yours then complain we are taxed too much when in reality we are ranked around 4th in the low tax regimes world wide particulalry as there is neither death duties nor inherientance tax ( which their should be ) .
And yes we do get a lot of very wealthy people from the USA & the UK immigrating down here so they can die tax free .
Although the UK post Brexit will now tax inherientances on all UK citizens regardless of where the deceased resided .
Apparently Spains biggest source of foreign exchange is UK citizens , moving there then becoming Spanish citizens so they can avoid the UK death tax by setting up funds for their children with Spanish Banks \
Eventually the entire planet will wake up and shift to turnover tax for businesses and flat rate income tax for people and the effective rates will be the same
Plus of course the Tobin tax of 0.001 % on all foreign currency exchanges that would alleviate world poverty in less than a decade as all those obscenely wealth people / funds that extract money by playing the Forex market will finally pay tax on their massive profits .