Export thread

HELP !!!!

M

MYTMERLIN

ON A CUBCADET 3185, HOW TIGHT SHOULD THE PTO BELT BE?
AND HOW DO I TIGHTEN IT UP ????

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Well first of all make sure you have it around all the proper pulleys,
2nd be sure you have the right belt. Plus, how loose is i t now?
And do you have the model number?

M

MYTMERLIN

Well first of all make sure you have it around all the proper pulleys,
2nd be sure you have the right belt. Plus, how loose is i t now?
And do you have the model number?

IT IS A HDS 3185 , THE PULLYS ARE CORRECT , IT HAS A PLAY OF ABOUT 1 -1/2 INCHES

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

That's about 1" too much.

M

MYTMERLIN

That's about 1" too much.

HOW DO I TIGHTEN IT UP ?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Not sure, either you got the wrong belt or they put the belt in the wrong size packaging.
Is it a Cub/MTD belt?

M

MYTMERLIN

Not sure, either you got the wrong belt or they put the belt in the wrong size packaging.
Is it a Cub/MTD belt?
IT'S THE ORIGINAL BELT, I JUST NEED TO TIGHTEN IT UP , HOW ?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Well, as far as i know you can't tighten a deck belt up. Just replace it with a new one if it's the original I'm sure it's stretched out.

M

MYTMERLIN

Well, as far as i know you can't tighten a deck belt up. Just replace it with a new one if it's the original I'm sure it's stretched out.

I'm 70 years old and live on a fixed income aside from being disabled, I guess my lawn will not get Mowed this year,
Thank you for your help, much appreciated
Gary

B

bertsmobile1

I'm 70 years old and live on a fixed income aside from being disabled, I guess my lawn will not get Mowed this year,
Thank you for your help, much appreciated
Gary

Garry,
There should be some sort of spring arangement on your deck to tension the belt.
Unfortunately there are no 3000 series Cubs in my service run so I have no service information on hand.
Attempting to get a deck parts diagram to check using parts tree & jacks did not work, no images.
This could be because a web link is down but while it goes on the back burner for a while, could you locate and post both then mower model number off the tag under the seat and the deck model number which should be on a tag on the deck.
These are needed to access the information via the Cub Cadet web site.

Failing that it would help greatly if we knew what deck you have there is a 48" deck, 54" deck & 60" deck listed.

M

MYTMERLIN

Garry,
There should be some sort of spring arangement on your deck to tension the belt.
Unfortunately there are no 3000 series Cubs in my service run so I have no service information on hand.
Attempting to get a deck parts diagram to check using parts tree & jacks did not work, no images.
This could be because a web link is down but while it goes on the back burner for a while, could you locate and post both then mower model number off the tag under the seat and the deck model number which should be on a tag on the deck.
These are needed to access the information via the Cub Cadet web site.

Failing that it would help greatly if we knew what deck you have there is a 48" deck, 54" deck & 60" deck listed.
IT IS A 54 " , THERE ARE NO NUMBERS UNDER THE SEAT OR ON THE DECK !!

cpurvis

cpurvis

Has this belt ever worked correctly? If so, what's changed between then and now? Did a tensioning spring break or something ?

M

MYTMERLIN

Has this belt ever worked correctly? If so, what's changed between then and now? Did a tensioning spring break or something ?
IT WORKED UNTIL WE CHANGED THE STARTER (4TH TIME). WHERE IS THE TENSION SPRING LOCATED ?

cpurvis

cpurvis

It has to be somewhere along the route that too-loose belt has to take.

B

bertsmobile1

Tension pulleys are always on the slack side of chains & belts
So it will be on the side of the deck where the belt comes OFF the drive pulley as belts pull not push.
On those big decks there is usually a 1/2" square hole in the arm that the pulley is on to allow you to put a breaker bar in there to pull against the spring.
Whay I asked about your deck number is because Cub Cadet fit a belt release to a lot of their decks, usually on the left side of the deck.

M

MYTMERLIN

I WILL TRY IT IN THE MORNING .
THANK YOU AGAIN,
GARY

G

geelee

the 3000 series cub is vacuum operated pto. the old style had an adjuster at the diaphragm, new style had zero adjustment. only choice is a new matched belt set

M

MYTMERLIN

waiting for it now !
i will let you know how that goes!!

G

geelee

I looked at your post again and have a question, is the pto engagement even working? when you pull pto switch up voltage is sent to a electromagnetic switch located on right hand side under side cover. a hose from engine intake manifold on engine goes to switch, out of switch another hose goes to diaphragm unit mounted on right front by the pto belts. when pto switch is pulled up the electromagnetic switch opens allowing vacuum from the (running engine) to the diaphragm which pulls rod down that's hooked to pulley swinging it into the belts and tightens the belts. did you pinch hose or pull it out of switch or diaphragm when replacing starter?