Help with MZ52

Hazmat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Newbie here. I need some help figuring something out. I bought a new to me 2015 husqvarna mz52. My first z turn. I had it about 2 months or so now. The problem that I am having with it is, it will not crank,start,click or nothing after I running it for 30min to a hr and cut it off. I can let it set a little and it will start. When it won't start I just start it with a screwdriver. I already replaced the ignition swith,the starter solenoid,and the guy I bought it from said he just changed the PTO switch last year. But still thinking it might be the pto switch. I also noticed to today that the wire that goes to the starter from the solenoid has a little rust on it. I thought I cleaned it when I changed out the solenoid. Going to clean it again this week some time. But any info or advice on what else to check would be appreciated. Thanks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the same mower. It sounds like one of your safety switches is faulty or out of adjustment.

How many hours on it when you got it? Have the cylinder fins ever been cleaned?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dose the engine have a low oil safety switch ?
Some of these ground the magnet so the engine will not run while others prevent the engine from cranking so you don't sieze the crankshaft ?
More than once I have done a call out only to find a mower with low oil on a slope.
Swung it around 180 so the oil on the sensor side was higher & off he went.
This was a Dixie Chopper but a lot of mowers use engines with oil switches on them
Some ring buzzers
Some kill the engine
Some prevent it from cranking

IF the oil level is right on borderline then when running the level in the sump drops that poofteenth enough to activate the switch
Left sat for a while, all of the splashed up oil returns to the sump raising it that poofteenth enough to deactivate the low oil switch.

Hazmat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same mower. It sounds like one of your safety switches is faulty or out of adjustment.

How many hours on it when you got it? Have the cylinder fins ever been cleaned?
Thanks for the reply. I think its one of the safety switches too. I just got to figure which one. It had just shy of 400hrs, 389 hrs I think. This is my first z turn. I don't have a owner's or service manual for it. I don't even know what the cylinder fins are or located. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll have to do some research on that. Thanks again.

Hazmat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dose the engine have a low oil safety switch ?
Some of these ground the magnet so the engine will not run while others prevent the engine from cranking so you don't sieze the crankshaft ?
More than once I have done a call out only to find a mower with low oil on a slope.
Swung it around 180 so the oil on the sensor side was higher & off he went.
This was a Dixie Chopper but a lot of mowers use engines with oil switches on them
Some ring buzzers
Some kill the engine
Some prevent it from cranking

IF the oil level is right on borderline then when running the level in the sump drops that poofteenth enough to activate the switch
Left sat for a while, all of the splashed up oil returns to the sump raising it that poofteenth enough to deactivate the low oil switch.
Thanks for the reply and info. I'm not sure if it has a low level safety switch. I'll have to research that. But I checked the oil when I got home from work today. It was on the full mark. It was due for a change. So i changed it this afternoon. When it don't crank, it can be on flat land, it just won't crank. If I got time, I can leave it for 15-20 min, come back to it and it will start right up. What you describe sound like what could be wrong with it, if it has a low oil safety swithch.Thanks again for your input.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If yours has the Kawasaki FR730V engine, I don't think it has an oil level safety switch.

I have the manuals. They're nothing special. I don't have a scanner anymore so I may have to take pictures. Let me know if you want them.

The cylinder cooling fins are located under the fan housing. That's the thing that takes in air from that top circular screen on top of the engine then blows it over the cooling fins located on the cylinders and cylinder heads. Kinda important to keep them clean on these air cooled, overhead valve engines. Very easy to do.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK
If you do not have the owners manual go to Husqvarna Web site and download the owners manual and if it is there the parts manual as well.
Near the back of the manual is the electrical schematic .
When you get it . come back here and we will walk you through it
When working on these type of mowers use short jumper leads with a 1/4" male spade on each end to bypass the safety switches one at a time till the guilty party is found.
Also check the battery voltage and make sure both ends of each battery cable are clean and making good electrical contact.
You can check the battery leads by using car jumpers to bypass both of them
BEcause they are exposed to the weather and because no one bothers to make cables properly now days water can wick down into the cable under the plastic sheath and corrode through the wires.
Thus when you measure with a multimeter you see good conductivity but when you try to pass current through them nothing happens apart from getting hot ..

Hazmat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the info and help. Sorry it took so long to reply back. I found the problem, It's the pto switch. When I push the pto switch down to cut off the blades, and shut off the mower. When I come back to it and if it don't crank I can pull up on the pto switch just a little and it will start right up. Not sure what to do with it to fix it. The previous owner just put this new switch on it before I bought it. I guess I'll just get another switch. Thanks again.