Export thread

Help with GX75

R

Rosey

Just got this 1995 John Deere GX75 rear engine rider. Challenging to use on my lawn (not flat). It cuts and bags well but I need to stay in 1st or 2nd gear in order to move. Slow! I like the size of this 30" deck. The belts are new, I'm told. It also goes well in reverse (thank goodness I can back it up the ramp into my shed). Any ideas as to why I am getting stuck? I have had to put my foot out to push. I do not have a manual. I don't know if it's a transmission problem, a weight distribution problem, or what. Should the deck wheels be set high? Also, is the choke setting on the throttle, the turtle, rabbit or the one in the middle?

Any owners out there with this problem? I would really like this mower if it moved better.

zman111666

zman111666

Well, to start, the choke on any rider without a separate choke control would be all the way up past the rabbit. In other words, full throttle to start, then pull back about 1/4 of the travel to run. often they will "click" into place at the top run position (before choke).

The manual, on the other hand, is kinda hard to find, at least for free. You can get it from John Deere, $10 for an instant download of the service/repair manual.
https://www.bobcatmanualonline.com/...x75-srx95-riding-mowers-service-repair-manual

R

Rosey

So glad I joined the forum. Already, some helpful information...Thank You ver much for the reply and info. The link to a ten dollar manual is great. Just knowing what type oil to use is great. Now, does any one have any suggestions for improved forward momentum? Staying in first or second gear in order to move is painstaking with my rather large yard.

zman111666

zman111666

If you try to go faster, is the belt slipping? Or does it just bog down, like it lacks power?

R

Rosey

Dear Zman,

I've only used it one time so far a couple days ago. Raining since. I think the engine revved up when I gave it more throttle but the tractor would get stuck and I would have To jockey into reverse then into a low forward speed to move. I haven't been able to use speed 4 or 5. I did get 3rd gear until I hit an uneven patch in the lawn then the old back and forth. I notice the left front tire tread is low but not like the wheels are spinning. Are wheel weights an option? Or do you think I have a transmission or belt issue? My front yard has a big slope I would not even attempt with this machine.

I really aporeciate your interest and willingness to help. I was using a 21" cub cadet self propelled walk behind...it was faster, but I couldn't sit on it.

zman111666

zman111666

To me it really does sound like a belt or transmission issue. I'm not sure what kind of transmission your unit has, but I imagine a hydrostatic type would be more vulnerable to slipping issues. Look to see if it has a filter on the transmission. If it does, might want to change that and check the fluid level.
I'm pretty sure, however that it has a more typical mechanical, grease packed tranny. Which leaves us to the belt being the likely culprit, with a slight chance of it being something weird like a sheared axle key or demonic possession.
I wish i could get Bert to chime in on this one... :biggrin:

R

Rosey

Hi Zmann,

It is a manual clutch/brake transmission if that helps. And thank you.

Roses

M

mjb8fj

Just got this 1995 John Deere GX75 rear engine rider. Challenging to use on my lawn (not flat). It cuts and bags well but I need to stay in 1st or 2nd gear in order to move. Slow! I like the size of this 30" deck. The belts are new, I'm told. It also goes well in reverse (thank goodness I can back it up the ramp into my shed). Any ideas as to why I am getting stuck? I have had to put my foot out to push. I do not have a manual. I don't know if it's a transmission problem, a weight distribution problem, or what. Should the deck wheels be set high? Also, is the choke setting on the throttle, the turtle, rabbit or the one in the middle?

Any owners out there with this problem? I would really like this mower if it moved better.

these were great mowers, but the issue with the transmission is pretty common. But really it isnt the transmission, if they have been sitting for awhile, the CVT, or constant variable transmission would stick. If your belts are ok, there are two under there, well that is what you have to look at. Most dealerships wouldnt even touch these, or even charged extra to do the belts on them, cause you almost have to drop the transmission to change belts, and on a few models you had to drop the transmission to change the brake pads on them. The variator- if thats what your problem you have with it, its hard to get you any help without being right there-sorry, this piece use to be over $400 for it. I dont know how much they are now, or how much they charge to change them out. If you were around me i would give you one extra that I picked up, just cause I dont need it. But this piece is what actually give the transmission its speed, its one belt spins fast and squeezes the pulley to give the other belt speed or to slow it down. Check you belts first though, maybe one is worn out or broken, fell off.... 2011-05-26_185549_mp9337_________un01jan94.gifOMM133763_F729.jpg
#16 in one picture and G in the other.
Hope this helps
BTW, I have been able to free up the CVT by working it back and forth with no belts before, it can be done and is a good winter project if you need one

R

Rosey

Dear Mjb,

Wow, wish you were closer! I was told by the seller that both belts were changed, in fact his buddy cracked a fender when lifting it to change the belt. I guess the seller was having the same issue, couldn't fix it and sold it (to me). Gee, I hate to spend more on the variator part than I did for the actual mower, and then trying to find someone able and willing to fix it? But it sure does sound like it could be the problem. I really like the size and go cart style of this mower (if it would go). The body is in great condition with the exception of that recently cracked fender.

Thanks so much. Sounds as though you have experience with this model.

Rosey

zman111666

zman111666

Thanks for bailing me out, mjb! I was in over my head! I'm here to learn as much as I am here to help.:thumbsup:

M

mjb8fj

Dear Mjb,

Wow, wish you were closer! I was told by the seller that both belts were changed, in fact his buddy cracked a fender when lifting it to change the belt. I guess the seller was having the same issue, couldn't fix it and sold it (to me). Gee, I hate to spend more on the variator part than I did for the actual mower, and then trying to find someone able and willing to fix it? But it sure does sound like it could be the problem. I really like the size and go cart style of this mower (if it would go). The body is in great condition with the exception of that recently cracked fender.

Thanks so much. Sounds as though you have experience with this model.

Rosey

well if i was close to you I would take a look for sure, I like these riders. Im not saying that is what the issue is, it could be yes. Also, since someone changed the belts, take a look to see if there are belt #'s on them. Those two belts are different, and not interchangeable- maybe that is it? I hate to see you have to buy a part for it, it sucks and inside info for you- the dealerships hate them so they will want you to trade it in, or to replace the transmission cause they dont want to mess with it. Getting someone to work on it- ehh oh ehhh, I cant help you there. I have seen and know places that do a service on them, and change the blade belt but wont mess with the transmission belts at all. Not sure how handy you are if you would try it yourself or anything either. The variator can be "broken loose" if it is stuck. By that, you have to remove the belts, spray it with PB blaster, and tap it up and down until its sliding on its own. Then you get to polish it up so it will slide smooth on its own when it needs it. Its not hard, its just a pain if your not into it. Being in the northwest and all the rain here, I have seen about 10 rust up. I so far have gotten those 10 broken loose. I wasnt successful when I was working for JD in north carolina and in georgia. I had some that I looked at that just were frozen. Maybe I learned a few things, I da know. I hope that its just a simple case of the belt worn out or broken or even the wrong belt for you. Again, if i was close I would gladly help you out or steer you in the right direction- I like those rear engine riders and own two currently.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

I agree with Mjb on his diagnosis....

There are 2 more factors that might be the problem tho....... John Deeres have a belt or belts that are special.. In saying that they have a different bevel/angle on them. If he bought the belt/belts from a JD dealership then you are good on that part.

The other thing would be a worn pulley or pulley's that are not gripping the belt/belts right. They get worn in the groove and the belt is not sitting right. This was discussed in an older thread on here and Bert backed me up on that issue.....

When a pulley gets worn it shrinks down and there is not enough tension on the belt itself.

Hope this helps Mon Ami ~!~!

Let us know ..........

R

Rosey

Thank you Mjb and Boudreaux. I wish that I could disassemble this thing and try all your great suggestions. There was a time not too long ago, that I would have. I wonder if I can print this thread for a mechanic? I got a link to purchase an operators manual through this thread. Are there also service and parts manuals?

I really appreciate the value you all bring.

okiepc

okiepc

I have a GX75, a great machine, also the repair manual.

I have changed the belts and it is not that hard of a deal. If I can help let me know.

zman111666

zman111666

The link I gave you is actually the technical manual. It may very well have the diagrams and parts lists.

R

Rosey

Dear ok and Zmann,

Again, thank you. The seller told me he only changed the drive belt. How many belts are there total including the deck belt?

okiepc

okiepc

There are 2 belts

R

Rosey

According to mjb it seemed as though there were 2 transmission drive belts. But if only 2 belts total, that would mean, only one drive and one deck blade belt, correct? Mjb are you out there? I saw the 2 diagrams you sent. Are they just 2 different pictures of the same belt? Sorry for my confusion. I have a small engine repair guy coming over at noon tomorrow, eastern standard time. Hopefully he gets it.

B

bertsmobile1

Vari drives need 2 drive belts so 3 belts for the machine.
Two transmission + one Deck

R

Rosey

Greetings Australia,

That was my thinking assuming that the GX75 is a vari drive. The John Deere dealer told the seller 2 belts. Maybe that is the problem.. The third belt is missing??

M

mjb8fj

According to mjb it seemed as though there were 2 transmission drive belts. But if only 2 belts total, that would mean, only one drive and one deck blade belt, correct? Mjb are you out there? I saw the 2 diagrams you sent. Are they just 2 different pictures of the same belt? Sorry for my confusion. I have a small engine repair guy coming over at noon tomorrow, eastern standard time. Hopefully he gets it.

sorry for the late response, you have 3 belts on there. One, the deck belt, easy to change and easily seen, controls the blade. There is a small one, engine to CVT belt, kinda sucks to change it. The third is way up in there, thats the transmission belt. You have to remove the engine belt to get to this one. Years of working on them you develop a system and can do it without dropping the transmission and things (also tools have improved a lot too), but it is possible to change it without dropping the transmission.

M

mjb8fj

I agree with Mjb on his diagnosis....

There are 2 more factors that might be the problem tho....... John Deeres have a belt or belts that are special.. In saying that they have a different bevel/angle on them. If he bought the belt/belts from a JD dealership then you are good on that part.

The other thing would be a worn pulley or pulley's that are not gripping the belt/belts right. They get worn in the groove and the belt is not sitting right. This was discussed in an older thread on here and Bert backed me up on that issue.....

When a pulley gets worn it shrinks down and there is not enough tension on the belt itself.

Hope this helps Mon Ami ~!~!

Let us know ..........

you are right on that! good call!

M

mjb8fj

I have a GX75, a great machine, also the repair manual.

I have changed the belts and it is not that hard of a deal. If I can help let me know.

your right, great machine. I always liked them

R

Rosey

Dear Mjb,

This is extremely helpful information. Although I cannot see inside, I think there may be a belt missing! This is something you alluded to earlier (worn or missing belt). The seller cracked the fender changing one belt recently. Is there a special process to get the fender off?

This forum and all of you are awesome. So glad I became a member.

Rosey

R

Rosey

Dear Mjb,

i just contacted a John Deere dealer with my Product ID# MOGX75X075430. The gentleman told me that there are a total of 2 belts. He gave me part #M94020. He also said there is a belt guide needed #M94023. I am trying to find out if the seller purchased and installed that too. Apparently manufacturer changes in the belt requires the guide. The seller gave me a spare belt and the belt number is correct.

Rosey

R

Rosey

The belt guide was not purchased or installed per the seller, only a new belt.

M

mjb8fj

The belt guide was not purchased or installed per the seller, only a new belt.

well i hope thats a quick easy fix for you! good luck on that one, thats great

R

Rosey

Well the small engine repair fellow called off our appointment for today. Disappointing. A belt guide seems too easy a fix...not my usual luck. Here's to hoping. Will let you know.