help with Craftsman 8400 pro series w/kohler motor

miamited1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was mowing lot next door and suddenly the motor just starts racing. I shut it down and it took a while to shut off. I started back up but the motor is still racing at top speed pretty much no matter what position throttle cable is in. Throttle cable seems to be operating properly. It's obviously getting gas as I can start it, but the motor just races even with throttle full close, where it would normally sputter as it runs, it just races now. What else can I check?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would suspect that either the bolts have come out of the throttle butterfly and the butterfly is stuck open, the throttle shaft has broken or the governor gear is broke and not controlling engine speed.

miamited1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey @ILENGINE

Thanks for the reply. The throttle cable seems to be working the butterfly, but I'll check that. Where is the governor gear?

I was just mowing along and suddenly the motor started racing and I couldn't find any stick or something that I'd jammed or something.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Governor gear is inside the engine crankcase. So if that has failed then it is engine removal and disassembly time