Help with choosing riding mower

EightSeven

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, I am fairly new to this forum, so I hope this question hasn't been already posted 1000 times! I am looking to buy a riding mower for under $2000. I have about a 1/2 acre with not many obstacles and a slight slope on one end of the yard. So far, I have looked at the Cub Cadets and JD's. Any other thoughts/suggestions? Any info is ABSOLUTELY appreciated!!!

Jeff

EightSeven

Forum Newbie
Threads
...and why do a lot of people recommend NOT buying them at a box store???

possum

Threads
Any of the riding mowers in that price range are about all the same. Buying from the box store is fine if you can maintain one yourself for the most part and or have a way to haul the unit to a repair shop for any warranty work. If you understand how a riding mower works, how to do some repairs, can follow a decent maintnence schedule, are fairly observant, and have more tools than the average 25 year old you see in the gas station running gas onto the driveway from his overfilling gas can while he talks on his cell phone, shouts at someone he knows across the street and flirts with the lady with three kids filling her SUV beside him at the same time then you will do ok with a box store mower. I t is very helpful to read the book that comes with the mower before you pay for it, and before you use it. Also very helpful to go over the mower before you use it, make sure everything is tight, lined up, not missing etc.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Big box store??? Where's your repair shop if something goes wrong? Who does your warranty work if something does go wrong? Who sets up the machine and makes sure everything is right for the customer? Who do you talk to if you do have set-up or maintenance questions? Who will spend 30 minutes showing your better half how easy it is to operate? Do you want me to go on. The way I see it you get a lot more from the dealer for your$$$$. Some of you are pretty good garage techs, but. The majority need the dealers to show them how to save both time and money. Plus the garage techs have to come to the dealers for their parts and advise when they get suck. If you have a bad dealer in your area, don't blame all of us. Who do you think is shelling out a lot of the advise and ideas you see in this forum. Dealer and retired dealers techs. They know what they are talking about!!!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, I forgot what I wanted to say about what to buy. Any of the major brand names would be good. I suggest Toro, Simplicity, JD, etc. The engines are going to all be about the same in that price range, but I would look for Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki. Finally remember, you get what you pay for. Do your homework, go with what your gut tells you and not your wallet, and finally make sure your better half thinks you did a good job and made a good choice.

fastback

Threads
When I bought my Husqvana I went to a dealer. I wanted a tractor that would last as long as possible. Now I realize that a $3,000.00 tractor is just that, and when buying tractors you get what you pay for. Not all of us can afford or justify 5, 6, 7,000 dollars or more on a tractor so we go for the best bang for our buck.

Anyway, I found that the big box stores only carry the lighter duty units. The dealer carries a full line. In my case I went for the top GT made by Husqvana. I like GT's because they tend to be heavier duty than a LT and hopefully last longer.

My dealer even filled out my warranty card for me. Keep in mind that even if you buy at a big box store they may not stock the parts you'll need. In fact, they may not sell your brand next year. Yes, you can always buy on line, but there are those times you need the part yesterday, a dealer is the best bet.

I have always done my own work and that is why I have joined this forum so that I can address the issues that I know nothing about. People here are very helpful.

As for what brand, go for the major brands like Rivets said. That way you can expect parts to be available etc.

Good luck

Cuttinup

Threads
Cub Cadet is good for the money, I have had good experiences. You can get parts within a couple days ordering off of the Internet, you can usually pay a little extra for expedited shipping and get it even sooner. There are many websites you can get parts from including ebay and most have free shipping and are tax free which saves you money and covers the cost of the extra fast shipping. True, you do get what you pay for but keep in mind it will most likely last a very long time anyway if you take care of it and keep it maintained.

jimrs

Threads
I have bought mowers from big box stores and the dealer. There is not any difference in buying from either. Both the dealer and big box stores are the same price but getting service is not. I try and buy everything from a local dealer. My Honda walk behind has started surging unless the throttle is set for choke. I bought this at a box store and live with it as they won't service it. I guess I have to find a shop to try and figure it out for me. I now wish that I had bought it from the local dealer.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Its been years since I have bought a new mower so its hard for me to understand much about a warranty. Would you not get the same warranty no matter where you buy it from? If you buy a new mower why can't you bring it to any dealer for warranty work no matter where you buy it? What do you get for warranty maybe 90 days? I really can't understand why you should have any problems in the first 90 days? Any shop I have ever worked in it just seems they don't care where it was bought. So my big question would be why would it matter where you buy it from because doesn't the dealer charge you for pick up and delivery also? No matter where you buy anything new or used, once you own it and it turns out to be a big peace of junk you own it and the saying is too bad too sad.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It does not make a difference where you buy the major brands. I do warranty work and this is a common occurrence. Customer A buys unit at big box. Customer B buys from us. Both units cost the same due to the rule of common pricing. Customer A needs help setting unit up, big box says we can't help you. Customer B gets his unit set up ready to go. Customer A calls us for help. Should we help him? Customers A & B have a problem with the Autochoke system, covered under warranty for at least two years. Who's should we get to first? It's the busy season, and Customer A gets upset that it takes to long to repair. Bottem line is dealers take care of their customers first. If I had a dollar for every machine that I did not sell, but was expected to give the exact same service to, I would be able to retire. Example, Briggs makes engines for many different manufacturers. We are a Briggs service center ( means we do Briggs warranty work) so we see a lot of Briggs engines. Only 40% were sold by us. Briggs pays us the same no matter where it is bought. Our customers come to us because they know how we will treat them and they deserve the extras. Sure I make $$$ off of each customer, but I get a lot less hastle from my customers, and a ton more headaches from the big box boys. Don' tell me that each of you aren't willing to pay more for a good meal and tip more for good service. Big box store are good for the person who wants to purchase a cheap disposable unit, but when you start spending big bucks you also start looking for CUSTOMER SERVICE which only you can put a price on.