Help with Blade Size

Berniebac

Threads
I have installed an old motor on a newer deck. I have it all together and running, I just need a new muffler and a new blade. I am using the image below to help with my blade sizing. The deck originally had a 21 inch mulching blade and I would like to install a new 21 inch blade. The problem I have is that I do not know what blade was originally on the old mower engine. All I got with the engine was the engine. I do have the bolt for the blade and the engine has a blade adapter on the bottom of the shaft. That adapter takes a 5/16 inch bolt and the spacing between the two outer holes is 1 1/8".

My engine is a Briggs: 92502 3151 02 87015151 (Looks to be an old engine).

If I can find a new blade do I need the two little soft metal inserts that go into the two outer holes on that adapter?

Do I also need some sort of a plate that holds those to soft metal inserts in place?

Or, can I just use the center bolt and bolt on a new blade?

I have a pic of my blade adapter on the end of the shaft but can't seem to upload it for some reason.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• blade_measure_diagram_1_.gif
    blade_measure_diagram_1_.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 7
  • bladeadapter2.jpg
    bladeadapter2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 13

KrashnKraka

Threads
I have installed an old motor on a newer deck. I have it all together and running, I just need a new muffler and a new blade. I am using the image below to help with my blade sizing. The deck originally had a 21 inch mulching blade and I would like to install a new 21 inch blade. The problem I have is that I do not know what blade was originally on the old mower engine. All I got with the engine was the engine. I do have the bolt for the blade and the engine has a blade adapter on the bottom of the shaft. That adapter takes a 5/16 inch bolt and the spacing between the two outer holes is 1 1/8".

My engine is a Briggs: 92502 3151 02 87015151 (Looks to be an old engine).

If I can find a new blade do I need the two little soft metal inserts that go into the two outer holes on that adapter?

Do I also need some sort of a plate that holds those to soft metal inserts in place?

Or, can I just use the center bolt and bolt on a new blade?

I have a pic of my blade adapter on the end of the shaft but can't seem to upload it for some reason.

Thanks for any help.

My read cannot see any images. THAT could be my problem not yours, rarely does
this site deliver images to my viewhole.

So.. I may have had similar dilemna bedore today myself.
The adaptor and inserts are a keeper system for a specific blade, refer
to your manufacturer, or, grab a generic 21" blade - weight not so
important as engine will soon tell you if the weight is suited - and
build a keeper tab washer which grabs both the blade and the
crankshaft bolt.
You may have to use a longer bolt.
If you must drill a keeper hole ( or holes) in the new blade do so in a
drill press as the blades are hardened steel and require low speed high
pressure to get a cut in.
Far better if you can build a remote tab lock which can be used without
modifying each blade as you replace them.

Trust that helps some.