Help, husky 2448 will not start

Rusty9381

Forum Newbie
Threads
Help, I have a Husky 2448. The engine was running, I applied the parking brake got off the machine. When I came back it had shut down. Now when I go to start it I get a single click but no turn over. Help snow coming need this for my plow.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove battery & take to any auto parts store & ask them to load test battery, this should be of no cost to you. If you have to purchase a new battery make sure cold cranking amps are what your operators manual calls for. I usually purchase my batteries at Tractor Supply as they have 340 cca's.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you install the new battery make sure you check to see if the charging system is working properly. Might be the reason battery is bad.

Old_Paint

Threads
How old is the battery? I've found that they typically don't last more than about 3 years on these little tractors. Take to the parts house as the OP suggested, and a load test will tell you real quick if you have shorted or open circuit plates. But, before you do that, clip a jumper cable on the terminal of the starter, making sure it doesn't touch anything else. Touch the other end of the jumper to the POSITIVE (+) post of the battery. If it turns then, the battery is fine. You're gonna need a solenoid. A "Starter Relay" for an early 90's Ford pickup serves well, and doesn't cost nearly as much as the OE solenoid. Be very careful not to short the battery out by touching ground (anywhere except the battery + post or the starter stud), or you may indeed wipe out your battery, if you don't blow it up. The click with no attempt by the starter to turn the engine over suggests either a bad solenoid or a bad starter, if not something so simple as a loose connection in the starting circuits (big wire connections). I've also had one instance where the oil film that builds up between the frame and the engine caused a high resistance ground in the starter circuit. A little corrosion (if you regularly use this for snow removal) goes a long way toward causing problems.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
first thing is to try & turn the engine by hand.
Could be the engine has seized .
If that checks out OK. remove the spark plug then try again with the starter.
If no joy then get some jumper leads & run them directly from the battery to the starter motor ( plug still removed )
If no joy try again with a known good battery .
From that you can determine if your battery is bad or if the starter is bad

Stopping for no reason like your mower did would point towards a bad parking brake switch or bad seat switch