Hello knowlegable folks. help needed with Yard-Man HA 4145 13AP494A643

LuggyNuts

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hello knowlegable folks. help needed with Yard-Man HA 4145 13AP494A643
Hi all, bit of a long shot but i was scammed at an auction into buying a Yard-Man HA 4145 13AP494A643 (long story was told it was running no issues, had new belts and blade was newly sharpend however it was old and a bit rusty, i saw it cutting no issues..so i get it home to find that on the flat it runs fine, However any slopes it struggles massively and I'm not talking large inclines or hills).

Anyway i dug around as much info as I can and it led me to the hydro transmission, sure enough its leaking oil from the gasket (looks like a hack job diy gasket). i would like to take the transmission out and put in a decent gasket however finding a service/repair manual is like finding rocking horse poop!

Does anyone have any idea where i can find one or is there a manual or schematics for a different model that is the same that i can look at? I have tried looking at the one on the mtd site but its pretty blurry and hard to see in what order to remove things.
The spring and brake assembly is intimidating as i know i will never get back together how it should be without a guide. (I'm a fairly competent beginner mechanic but sometimes end up with the odd screw left over Lol)
I'm really hoping the issue is just the gasket as I've been told that the transmission would cost around £1500 to be looked at and rebuilt. MTD told me that transmissions and any parts for the transmissions are no longer available and that there are'nt any other model transmissions that will fit...is that true or is there a model out there that i could switch the transmissions with if it came down to it. or am i ultimatley stuck with an piece of junk? :(

I know buying from an auction was risky, but we couldnt afford a new machine and I had hoped that the owner was being truthful when telling me about the machine. unfortunatly he obviously saw a woman and thought he'd take the proverbial.

I really cannot afford to lose the money I have paid and am praying someone out there might be able to give advice that will help me.
Many thanks in advance.
L

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

LuggyNuts

Forum Newbie
Threads

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looking for a deal, at an auction. Let that sink in. If the mower was in top shape, probably not be at an auction or flea market.

I know money is tight in this Biden Cartel era. Should of drove it like you stole it making sure it all worked first. Hope you get her working.

LuggyNuts

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking for a deal, at an auction. Let that sink in. If the mower was in top shape, probably not be at an auction or flea market.

I know money is tight in this Biden Cartel era. Should of drove it like you stole it making sure it all worked first. Hope you get her working.
I did drive it and test the cut everything seemed fine, unfortunatly there were no sloping areas to test it on.

As a side note many deals can be found at farm auctions, most estates go to auction when the owner has died and has no will, the last mechanical purchase i made was a honda quad at the same auction for £500 had cracked tyres and was bogging down, rebuilt the carb, flushed the fuel lines, replaced tyres worked fine no issues. Sent it to the local honda quad dealer for a service last year and they valued at it at £4500. There is no way in hell i could have afforded a quad like that even now. so there are many bargains can be got you, just have to be careful, unfortunatley this time i got the characher of the owner wrong and believed his story or maybe he genuinely wasn't aware either way here we are. Have stripped it down today all seems fine inside so now to get it put back together without bits left over. lol 🤞

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I did drive it and test the cut everything seemed fine, unfortunatly there were no sloping areas to test it on.

As a side note many deals can be found at farm auctions, most estates go to auction when the owner has died and has no will, the last mechanical purchase i made was a honda quad at the same auction for £500 had cracked tyres and was bogging down, rebuilt the carb, flushed the fuel lines, replaced tyres worked fine no issues. Sent it to the local honda quad dealer for a service last year and they valued at it at £4500. There is no way in hell i could have afforded a quad like that even now. so there are many bargains can be got you, just have to be careful, unfortunatley this time i got the characher of the owner wrong and believed his story or maybe he genuinely wasn't aware either way here we are. Have stripped it down today all seems fine inside so now to get it put back together without bits left over. lol 🤞
You may be able to repair the leak with a new seal and top off the oil. However, if there is internal damage causing it to not move correctly on slopes, that is usually the beginning of the end for hydrostatic transaxle.

LuggyNuts

Forum Newbie
Threads
You may be able to repair the leak with a new seal and top off the oil. However, if there is internal damage causing it to not move correctly on slopes, that is usually the beginning of the end for hydrostatic transaxle.
yeah that's what im worried about, stripped it down and it all seems actually in great condition so fingers crossed the new seal works, even long enough so that i can trade it in against another mower thats newer/ more easier to get parts, service etc. just got to try and figure out how the trans goes back into the mower without bits left over.:oops:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is easy.
Buy some rolls of damaged news print paper at one of your auctions
They often turn up because the center core gets damaged so they will not run properly in the press.
lay a 3 sheet thick layer under the mower before you start to work on it then when you have finished screw it up & toss in the bin
Thus no parts left laying on the floor

LuggyNuts

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just want to say thank you for all your help especially Startech..the diagrams you posted were amazing and i am pleased to say i now have full drive after resealing the hydro transmission..and only one spring left over :rolleyes:.