Have older Honda have questions about transmission.....

debrag1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Have older Honda have questions about transmission.....
Hi. Really enjoy this site!
I have a 2008 Honda mower HRX217HMA. Wa top of the ;ine residential at the time. The older 160cc engine has always started first pull. Mower has been great. I cut my own lawns about 16000 sq ft.
Recently there is a groaning noise when I propel forward. It is very obvious and loud if you are not spinning the blades. I have been reading and I have found people who successfully drain and refill the tranny box and say its good as new. Has anyone done this? I found a new tranny and cable for $260+ if I do the work. I am more than caplable.
I was going to get the new top of the line HRX217 but hesitated because of all the problems w the CAM release. My dealer had pulled them all after having several brought in for that service. Cannot pull the cord or use electric start. Some dealers are selling them.....it is a known problem now w the new type of 200cc engine. They called me and just replaced the cam and finished a new HRX so I had it delivered. Showed up here and I tried to start in front of the driver and no go for 30 min so back it went!
Have been looking local for the older 160cc mower used but no luck. My only option I believe is the top of the line HRC216HXA as it has the even better 160cc engine w cast iron sleeve and is shaft driven even better. It is pricey $1600. Less warranty.
I am now 60 and want to cut my lawn for at least another 10 years. Dealer says the commercial is bulletproof for a residential owner and I agree.
They also sell Toro 21 inch but they so pale in comparison. I was a machinist and mechanical inspector so the quality means a lot to me. The newer Toro SR do not have an option for the Honda engines,
I did find a used Personal Pace SMARTSTOW Super Recycler Mower Model: 21386 2 -3 years old for $350. Not sure if I will like the Personal Pace. I enjoy the control I have w the 2 bail Honda. I also prefer a manual choke. Have not looked at Snapper yet. Only want a 21" or so. What advice do you all have for me? Put in the tranny in my mower w new whells and grass bag as it is in great shape w a reliable engine? Is there a Toro or Snapper preferred?
Thanks a bunch for reading...........

Threads
I'd start with replacing the hydrostatic transmission fluid and see if that settles the noise problem.

If all you need is a new set of wheels, a bag, and a transmission fluid change, go that route.

debrag1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks yes i am thinking the same.