GTS-5 Super Recycler "Clanks"

Steakes

Forum Newbie
Threads
My older Super Recycler GTS 5, 6HP, 150cc, SBS 150 U 1G1RA:EM, sounds like the blade hitting the deck on start for a few revolutions. Once warm, operation is normal (except rpm hunting a bit). I like the engine and am concerned it may be crankshaft bearing? Non-synthetic oil is good. Blade is sharp and secure with no evidence of impingement.

Ideas?

Was once told this engine was a good one due to the way it distributed oil while mowing on slopes.

Thanks

Born2Mow

Threads
1. Your mower deck is probably smashed in at some point, allowing the blade to strike it. Lift it up and rotate the blade by hand. It should clear everything by ~3/8 inch.

2. Second guess is that the spindle bearings (if your unit incorporates such) are shot. Maybe the belt pulls the bearings back into place after it's turning.

3. You should check that the blade is the correct one and it fully tightened into place.

Hope this helps.

Steakes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you.
I must mention the blade (original) and housing are in good shape and secure with no damage evident. Not sure about the spindle bearing issue, will check.