GT 2000 ignition or PTO safety?

Perry J

Forum Newbie
Threads
GT 2000

Last week I had to activate and deactivate the 'PTO on' lever a little bit while using the key in 'start' to get it to turn over. No response with just the key.

But now it just clicks intermittently when I jiggle activate the PTO switch, no turn over, no start.

Battery, solenoid, and the starter seem good in that when I jumper the trigger contact on the solenoid to the battery (with the key on,) the engine will turn over relentless but not fire over.

Gas tank is full.

I think this may narrow it down to either an ignition switch issue or a PTO switch safety issue. Suggestions?

Nameplates attached

Attachments

• 20230826_152110.jpg
    20230826_152110.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230826_152543.jpg
    20230826_152543.jpg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove battery & have it load tested at auto parts store.
Locate your tractor & information. Electrical troubleshooting page 134.

Last edited:

Perry J

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, that seems simple enough. Thank you.

Will you humor me though? When I jumper the battery to the solenoid it will turn over for quite awhile, good and strong. That's what deflected me away from the battery as the primary issue.

Will a weak but fully charged battery prevent the ignition switch from activating even though it is strong enough to turn the engine over for extended periods?

Perry J

Forum Newbie
Threads
Locate your tractor & information. Electrical troubleshooting page 134.
Oh crap, I didn't even realize that manual was a link you shared. I thought it was just another ad! Will peek. Thx

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jump ?
Bridge the solenoid terminals
or
use jumpers direct from the battery
Yes it makes a difference
When faced with your problem I manually jump the safety switch with a patch cord ( short length with a male terminal at each end ) to test if it is the safety switch or key switch then i confirm the key switch with the same patch cord .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since the starter solenoid trigger voltage goes the PTO and Brake switches it can either one of them and even the ignition switch. But if you are getting a repondance by wiggling the PTO I would try replacing it.

Just it can also be just a bad wire terminal as they are F56 terminals