Grinding noise and white smoke

julian_s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I was using the lawnmower for the first time this season. I heard a somewhat of a grinding noise, like I was running over something, then white smoke started coming from the lawnmower. I didn't add any oil, checked the oil before I started, seemed okay level. There was gas from last year still in the tank that I used. If I start it now, there seems like less smoke but it will start smoking more after running and stalling a bit when idling. The machine is in its 5th season.

Any suggestions or diagnosis ? Thanks Julian.

Attachments

• mower.jpg
    mower.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 10

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you look under the deck to see if its all clear under there? Might have a cat or rodent nest up in there. Mice on top of the flywheel? Engine full of oil?

slomo

julian_s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you look under the deck to see if its all clear under there? Might have a cat or rodent nest up in there. Mice on top of the flywheel? Engine full of oil?

slomo
Thanks for the reply. Engine was not full of oil. There was nothing underneath where the blades are, but I am not quite sure what constitutes the deck of the lawn mower.

julian_s

Forum Newbie
Threads
I drained the oil, put in new oil and made sure the level is accurate. I start the mower and it works fine for a few minutes and then starts blowing white smoke.

lefty2cox

Threads
What does it smell like and where is it coming from? The exhaust? Look for a sticker with a model / serial number and post it.