Great Dane won`t start

D2hornets58

Threads
I have a 52 inch great dane mower. it was not used much last year but it would start right up before i put it away for the winter.When i go to start it it wont even turn.I know the battery is fine and i think it might be the starter. Is there any way to test to see if its the starter or could it be something else?
thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be one of several things...
First see if the starter solenoid is engaging when you turn the key to start... If its completely quiet... (no click), I would check the safety interlock switches ... including the PTO switch, it Must be in the Off position before the starter solenoid will get power... Post back with what you find.. :smile:KennyV

D2hornets58

Threads
KennyV said:
First see if the starter solenoid is engaging when you turn the key to start... If its completely quiet... (no click), I would check the safety interlock switches ... including the PTO switch, it Must be in the Off position before the starter solenoid will get power... Post back with what you find.. :smile:KennyV

Last year the key would never work so I would jump the solenoid with a screwdriver but when I do that now it will spark but nothing else will happen. I checked the PTO switch and that was off.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
How is the battery? ... Is it Fully charged?

Hate to mention the obvious But.... The problem with using a shortcut, like jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver is okay to get you going again... IF you follow up with repairing the actual problem...
If you fail to do that, (and I've done similar things) ... you can end up with multiple problems each interacting with the other, making the ultimate repair very frustrating...

So I would start with a very good, well charged battery, & good clean cable connections at each end of all the cables... then I would find where the voltage drop is in the starter system...
Starters them selves are fairly robust an rarely fail... but they can have a problem.... I would wring out everything else First... :smile:KennyV

D2hornets58

Threads
KennyV said:
How is the battery? ... Is it Fully charged?

Hate to mention the obvious But.... The problem with using a shortcut, like jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver is okay to get you going again... IF you follow up with repairing the actual problem...
If you fail to do that, (and I've done similar things) ... you can end up with multiple problems each interacting with the other, making the ultimate repair very frustrating...

So I would start with a very good, well charged battery, & good clean cable connections at each end of all the cables... then I would find where the voltage drop is in the starter system...
Starters them selves are fairly robust an rarely fail... but they can have a problem.... I would wring out everything else First... :smile:KennyV

Ok thanks for the help. The battery is dead so I tried using a jumper pack on the wires and had the battery disconnected but I am definatly going to get a battery then go from there.

graydog

Threads
It would be helpful if people would come back on this forum and post their findings and solutions for their problems. Did you solve your "Great Dane won`t start" problem or did you sell it or what?

Biglarrpizza

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a great dane zt mower and its want start then I put a push button with wires on a ground of the battery and hook one too the solenoid switch,its crank but my brake handle have to be pull down and the PTO want engaged, is it's my key switch or pto or switch under the seat