Gravely Proturn 452 with Yamaha 775V-efi malfuntion light

TEToffensive

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Gravely Proturn 452 with Yamaha 775V-efi malfuntion light
I purchased a used Gravely proturn 452 with yamaha 775v-efi from a Gravely dealer it was on consignment. only 71 hours. seems clean and took care of. DOM Nov 2019. owner was downsizing equipment and kept larger mower. I got it home and cut grass for approx 1 hour and large white smoke trail came from exhaust for about 2 minutes then quit. Was told probably from daily 2 minute runs in am and then again pm dealer moving it from shop to street and back to display it. Had no more issues and put 5 hours on meter. Now to problem, this mower has two red lights on right side close to start and throttle. one is oil pressure, the other (according to downloaded owners manual ) is an engine malfunction light. Manual says if light comes on stop and check engine manual. Ariens/Gravely has provided what appears to be standard Yamaha manual. No where in manual does it mention malfunction light. Called the local dealer and they were unsure as they don't see too many of the Gravely with Yamaha motors, thought it was a charging system light to let you know it was charging. Called Ariens/Gravely help center as soon as it opened and wonderful telephone agent took notes and said they would send to technician, and they would call back. 9 hours later and after help center closed, still no call. I cut grass today about two hours and light flickered, but couldn't watch it constantly. Didn't have any issues. Anyone know what the light actually is, what does it mean and where can I find something that tells me? Have heard there were problems with this engine (after I purchased it. 5 year extended warranty in effect 1 year to go.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wished that you had read some of my posts about the Yamaha engines before you bought it.

TEToffensive

Forum Newbie
Threads
I guess there are no techs, or users that know why someone at gravely industries put this thing on the mower.
It's not mentioned anywhere except owners manual and all it says is look at the engine manual at it doesn't mention it anywhere.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
My guess is that they wanted a bigger profit by offering this engine. The press and Gravely talked about a partnership with Yamaha in developing this family of engines. The Yamaha was supposed to be a commercial engine that was cheaper to buy than Kawasaki and Kohler engines.
Bad Boy and Husqvarna also used the same engines. Bad Boy and Husqvarna stopped offering them before Gravely.
Here’s the warranty information.

TEToffensive

Forum Newbie
Threads
My guess is that they wanted a bigger profit by offering this engine. The press and Gravely talked about a partnership with Yamaha in developing this family of engines. The Yamaha was supposed to be a commercial engine that was cheaper to buy than Kawasaki and Kohler engines.
Bad Boy and Husqvarna also used the same engines. Bad Boy and Husqvarna stopped offering them before Gravely.
Here’s the warranty information.

Actually, they went with Yamaha because Kawasaki started making side by sides and couldn't meet Gravely and Ariens production needs. This motor didn't last because they had problems and Kawasaki had increased production but ook three years to get started catching up then came covid and messed everything up.
My comment was the little light that Gravely calls a malfunction light. No one not even the gravely dealers, techs or tech support at gravely know its purpose or how to find out.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually, Gravely partnered with Yamaha to develop the Yamaha engines. Gravely had 4 engine offerings in their lineup during the Yamaha era. They were Kohler, Kawasaki, Gravely (Loncin), and Yamaha. The Gravely(Loncin) were on a few mowers below the Pro Turn 100 line. The Yamaha engines were offered on the Pro Turn 100 and up. When I bought my Pro Turn 160, the dealer had Kohler, Kawasaki, and Yamaha equipped models in stock. Some were carbureted and some had EFI. I should have gone with the Kohler or Kawasaki.
Have a look.

TEToffensive

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually, Gravely partnered with Yamaha to develop the Yamaha engines. Gravely had 4 engine offerings in their lineup during the Yamaha era. They were Kohler, Kawasaki, Gravely (Loncin), and Yamaha. The Gravely(Loncin) were on a few mowers below the Pro Turn 100 line. The Yamaha engines were offered on the Pro Turn 100 and up. When I bought my Pro Turn 160, the dealer had Kohler, Kawasaki, and Yamaha equipped models in stock. Some were carbureted and some had EFI. I should have gone with the Kohler or Kawasaki.
Have a look.
I have not had any problem but only put 4 hours, mower has 71 hours. However I have the issue this post started with. My dealer says he has a customer with 3 graveleys with Yamaha over 1200 hours and no issues. However internet is full of peopel that say to avoid the yamaha motors

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have not had any problem but only put 4 hours, mower has 71 hours. However I have the issue this post started with. My dealer says he has a customer with 3 graveleys with Yamaha over 1200 hours and no issues. However internet is full of peopel that say to avoid the yamaha motors
All I can say is good luck.